THIRTY-NINE

"What do you mean the road is closed?" Ginger shouts, causing me to jump awake. "Get me the hell back to my house!"

Looking outside, I see the rain still falling, the streets wet, and puddles already formed from at least an hour ago. "What's going on?" I ask calmly, my nerves picking up. I the road is closed that means a longer delay.

"The authorities shut down the only road that leads to my property due to flooding."

"Do we know if Zion knows we are here?" I ask, just as thunder cracks in the sky as I jump in my seat.

"We have no damn idea, but I do know the longer we wait out here, we may find out if your fiancé is close."

I nod, slowly sliding down into my seat as the guard driving is making another call to someone. Ahead I see the lights of a police car, blocking the road for us as we are pulled to the side of the road. Letting out a deep breath, I close my eyes, trying to calm down. The chance of Zion finding me scares me. No, I know he would never harm me, but I know he won't be happy when he sees me. I feel like I do have the information I need upon my parents and Lillian, only needing them to be finalized. I know Zion did nothing, unless he was the one who killed Lillian, but Zion is not a true monster like that. A demon would kill his mate, and after being by Zion's side, he is no demon.

I'm pulled from my thoughts as I hear Ginger unlocking my seatbelt. "What are you doing?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as she hands her phone over to a guard.

"If Zion is on our trail he'll be here in no time, just waiting for us to escape. So, as a result, you and I will be running in wolf form back to my property."

"You're crazy," I snap. "If he's on our trail he could easily outrun us. Not to mention he'll probably have some of his best trackers with him, meaning they could take us down."

"That why we are leaving now," Ginger snaps, pull my arm as we hop out of the car.

The second my feet hit the mud below, I already know this is going to be one long and tedious run. As the rain begins to drench my body, Ginger leads me into the woods, explaining she often uses one of these paths to get back to her place, saying no one will spot us since the trees are so thick. Not only am I to run as fast as I can, but also smear mud upon my fur coat when I shift, to mask my scent.

"Got it," I reply as she nods her head.

That's when we hear it, a howl.

"Shit!"

Right away we shift, not even bothering with clothes as they read to pieces. Setting off, I push off of the muddy ground, no time to roll around as Ginger follows me. The mud under my paws is all I rely on as I push through the thick trees, my heartbeat faster than ever as I want to reach haven.

My wolf charges faster, my mind no longer caring about the numbing pain in my lungs nor legs. I push further, finding the property of Ginger's home so close to where I am. Ginger still sprints beside me, making sure we are both together. After all, I'm her get out of jail free card because Zion won't touch her if she has me.

As my wolf makes a sharp turn to the left before a massive tree, I catch from the corner of my eyes a gray wolf and light brown wolf, each massive and ready to attack.

My eyes widen, fight or flight kicking in faster than ever before as I try and block out everything except for my destination. I'm so close. So close to being safe.

Ginger's guards have already started charging from her place, ready to defend her and me as Zion's warriors gain speed on us. My instincts tell me to continue running, to not look back upon the predators on my tail. Yet curiosity kills the cat every damn time.