THIRTY

The first thing that wakes me up isn't the sound of movement, the sunlight streaming in, or anyone shaking me awake, but the pain in my nose.

Completely flooded by the overwhelming feelings of determination, completion, pride, and adornment last night, we had simply decided to push the realization of my bloody and broken nose out of the way, only to later reset it after midnight. Sure, I knew it was broken, and as a werewolf these things heal faster, but the pain still lives on as I lay here now.

With the cold air of the room nipping at my bare front and my head spinning with the memories of last night, I let out a deep sigh. No regrets. None. Nada. Unless you count the sleep deprivation that I have now. If I ever even thought I'd be sleeping beside and even with a male nine years my senior, I'd just think I was crazy. Sure, there are greater age gaps and due to being werewolf Zion doesn't actually look his age, but it still makes me question why he is with me. Zion says he cares for me, he wants to be next to me for the rest of his life, but what made him want a younger girl in that way?

What made him really want me? He claims love at first sight from the moment he saw me running after the robber and landing a swift kicks to the dude's balls. He says he fell for me right then and there, as if mates were nothing but a silly story our society tells us to agree with.

The shower begins to run in the next room, the door open, and a pounding in my heart begins. Maybe he killed my parents. Maybe he tells me truth.

Sitting up, I shake my head, trying to clear it as the sunlight meets my eyes. Today. I do not know what will happen today. Having gotten the name of the rogue to find, I know that is our next step in the war, but I still have a journey of my own. A journey of questions and answers.

I didn't even have a chance to ask about my parents or even Zion's true mate last night. However, with this new name, I plan on having a private conversation with him about these names.

Maybe Zion did kill my parents. Maybe Sebastian was telling the truth the first time in that they were attacked by rogues. Lillian or Quinn, one of the two were Zion's mate. Lillian is dead as I've been told, and Zion talked of Quinn in past tense. Is Quinn dead? Or was Zion talking in past tens about her because he wants to put her behind him?

He once asked if I trusted him, and I said yes. I said yes because I want to trust him, and I do...but when it comes to matters that I now face, I'm unsure sometimes. I should be able to trust this man that I am to marry. I should be able to give him my life to protect without a single doubt.

Getting to my feet, I head to my luggage, rummaging through all the items Marisa had packed. I swear there's enough clothing for two months in here. I don't even know what we are to do next, if we are to find this Arthur guy and get a word in, or just head back to the palace. Who knows why I need this much clothing, ranging from casual to formal.

In my opinion, I'd rather find this guy and get it done with than wait in the palace with a bunch of up-tight Alphas.

Arms suddenly wrap around my torso, pulling me into a slightly damp chest. As a chin rests upon my shoulder, I can feel the scruff of a five-o-clock shadow, letting me know exactly who it is.

"Plans for the day?" I ask, reminding myself what I'm here for.

Teeth graze against my neck, causing the hairs on my neck to stand straight up. Canines extend as they begin to prick my neck.

Instantly I push away, turning around to face a bare King as my eyes widen.

Not expecting that.

I look back up to meet his gaze of darkening eyes and a smirk upon is lips. "I had a man working on finding our contact all through the night. We are traveling to Miami in about two hours." I pushed away because of the mark. Because it would be a Sybil upon my body forever unless I decide to cut him from my life and allow a witch to cast a spell upon it. Maybe I do want to be marked by Zion, but it would be best not to see this contact or the ring leaders with a mark on.