FORTY-SIX

"Let me just remind you that war is going on right now and I have a pack to take care of," Alpha Penelope greets as she walks up the marble steps to the doors of the palace. Her burgundy red hair blows in the wind, her sharp green eyes laid upon my own as she approaches me.

"But you could not resist a small vacation that you were invited to from the Queen," I comment, watching as she agrees with me, pushing past and into the palace. "Welcome back to the palace."

Penelope nods, handing a random guard her black fur coat, and already ordering a guard to carefully take her luggage to her room.

One week. That's howling she will be here and there will be another female to freely talk with. Two weeks ago I sent out an invitation for Penelope to come here, and she took it, pouncing right away as a royal messenger had delivered it to her personally.

By supper we are seated at the Royal table, the long and rectangular table, the wood taken right out an elvish forest with the white bark causing an illusion to appear like marble.

As Penelope finishes off her white wine, she turns to me, leaning back as the second course is brought on. "Would you like to know my biggest regret in life?" She asks, watching as I raise an eyebrow. Penelope takes another sip of the alcohol, looking around the palace. "Ever since I was seven my parents told me I was to achieve greatness, to become a great female Alpha. Hell, they said I could do better than most the ass-hat Alphas from my pack."

I nod, wondering where this is going.

"By the time I was right it was locked in my mind that children were a curse. A curse in a sense that so many would try and harm my kin, and a curse that they would be raised by a mother who would be busy with pack life. My parents told me female Alphas do not reproduce unless they let their mate become the Alpha."

She has no children. She is still the female Alpha of her pack, a pack with a massive impact upon the werewolf empire due to their strength and dignity.

"My fucking mate is a human. I have no children. I love my mate but want children that I only see will be cursed by this world. That's my one regret in life, Sybil: I have no children."

"Why are you speaking of this?"I ask, my tone gentle as I try and not offend the woman before me who has killed so many.

"Because the palace feels like my home."

I raise an eyebrow, taking a bite of my meal.

"Because the palace feels empty just like my house. I imagine every night that little footsteps echo the massive halls just like I do to this palace. I believe children will fill the hollow aspect of my life, yet I do not have them. Hell, my eggs are probably shit by now."

"What does your mate think?"

"Levi? He is understanding. He respects me. We want children yet know what is best for the pack. Alphas make more sacrifices than just their blood or time, but their dreams of a family dream."

I understand her. I understand what she means.

It makes me think if I will ever have a child or even children with Zion, if we will produce and have a crib in one of the Royal bedrooms. I've always wanted to be a mother, but never at this age.

"Skipping to much happier topics, how about..." Penelope trails off. "War is just a damn horrible time to be optimistic." Nodding, I slide down in my chair, thinking of Zion. I wonder if he will come home by the end of the week. By Friday Penelope is scheduled to leave by noon, and Zion promised to be back within the grand walls of the palace after five in the afternoon.