FORTY-EIGHT

"You're up early," I whisper, picking him up as the sun barely leaks through the windows of the palace.

Right away small arms wrap around my frame, holding on tight as he rests his head upon my chest, closing his beautiful eyes. Eyes just like his father, a pair of golden brown that remind me of fall colors.

"Just keep him on your side," Zion mumbles, his head flat in the pillow as the King looks aged, at least by two or three years, a thin beard from probably a few days unshaven, his hair a bit longer, and looking exhausted. "I'll take him down in another forty minutes."

Sitting up, I smile, kissing my son's head as I look to Zion as he goes back into a deep slumber. "River, you will one day rule what your father rules," I whisper, my son laying down upon my lap as the sunlight greets my face. "And you'll be just as good of a king as he has been."

My son stirs in my lap, looking up to me through his brunette locks, thick and silky like his father's.

I smile. A genuine smile.

It's a smile of pure happiness at its finest as I believe nothing could ever go wrong.

I guess that's what dreams are for, that they envision your perfect moment that you search the world for.

I'm pulled from my dream, my body shooting upright as I see the room around me, the modern furniture, no windows, white walls, black marble flooring, my luggage against the wall.

Just three days ago did I meet King Oscar and move into the safe house. With over fifty guards and Zion's arrival today, I'm feeling at the peak of my game. Today should and will be a good day.

Yet I'm still off. I feel as if something is off.

For the past dreams I've had, everyone of them reflects around a small boy, one with golden brown eyes, brown hair, and a smile like my own. He looks perfect. Some dreams he's running up to me, wrapping his arms around my legs as his father kisses my forehead. Other dreams the boy is running around the floors of the palace, playing with Zion as I watch from a distance with a warm smile upon my face.

The child is my son, a piece of both Zion and me. The child is our son.

"Queen Sybil?"

The child is the next King.

"One second," I call out, getting to my feet as I grab my white robe. Hauling myself from the comfort of my bed, I'm fast with my feet against the floor as I open the door. "Yes?"

Drexel stands there, his head cocked to the side. "It's one."

I've slept through the morning as usual. I stay awake all night as I think of Zion's arrival. "Any news?"

"Alpha Penelope is to arrive within the hour, King Zion rumored to arrive before sunset."

I nod, thanking Drexel as he recedes into the hall, leaving me all alone once again.

Getting dressed for the day, I'm soon out of my room, exploring the familiar house as King Oscar awaits me in the kitchen. For the days I've been here I've been told that the reason I was told to leave the palace was because someone was coming to visit.

But who?

Who was so dangerous to my well-being that Elijah pulled me from my bed and Penelope rushed me all the way into Switzerland? Who? Zion knows.

And Zion is who I plan on asking. Zion has the answers he is reluctant to give.

"King Oscar, how is the war?" I ask, grabbing a stool from the breakfast bar as I look out upon the snow-covered mountains. "Any word?"