FORTY-THREE

I watch from the distance. With my eyes never leaving the dark outline of the cars as they drive away, I find myself wanting to let my emotions spill forth. I want to allow myself to cry, to show everyone how heartbroken this has caused me to become, how I didn't and still don't want him to be gone.

As the cars disappear, I turn back around, looking up to the massive double doors of the palace. Still standing on the steps, I don't want to go back in. I don't want to go back to the walls of the palace without knowing Zion will be in there, waiting for me.

I'm not going to war with him because I cannot fight. I am not a warrior. Only warriors are being called upon to fight, those who have trained to see blood and bring hell.

Taking in a deep breath, I head back in, hating that the man I married is now gone.

We only were married for a day until he was gone.

Entering the palace, right away I greet the familiar eyes of Elijah. Elijah stayed behind due to the duties he holds as the King's Advisor and best friend. With Zion gone I am practically going to be running the Kingdom for issues less important, Elijah here to guide me ever step of the way.

Many see this as him helping me out.

I see it as training.

Training for what? For when Zion doesn't return and I'm left to sit upon the throne and wear the crown as it is my duty.

Zion love his Kingdom, his Empire, a piece of him that has always been with him no matter how much he has hated it. With the time we talked after our wedding last night, he told me of the struggles of the palace, how so many come here in hopes of a future with status, only for so many to break under pressure. Scandals around every corner, backstabbing everywhere both figuratively and literally, breaking points met every day, and so much more is what causes so many to never look back upon this place.

"He'll be back next week," Elijah comments as we walk together into the throne room. "Just eight days away."

A lot can happen in eight days. People can die in eight days. It's not like he's going to some elaborate business trip meeting where the risk of death is low. No, Zion is going to war. He will be fighting with his men. He will be in the first wave of the war.

Upon spelled grounds, massive mate as of land with magic protecting them from the human eye, Zion's life will be in danger.

"Eight days means a lot of things," I mutter, our footsteps echoing across the empty hall. As we enter a sky-high hallway, I remove the crown, staring down at it as I let out a sigh. "I didn't marry him to wear the crown or run the Kingdom."

"You married him because you loved him," Elijah points out as I nod.

"I did. I don't regret it because the pressure of time we were under was understandable. But I wasn't prepared to run a Kingdom in his absence or even have the treat of hi being ki-

"Zion is in threat everyday, Sybil. For all you know a sniper could have shot him dead the first time he spoke to you. Sure, the risks have been raised, but he has still lived." I nod, entering the King's office, Elijah right on my tail.

"How does he do it?"

"Stay alive?" Elijah asks.

"Run a Kingdom? He was crowned at such a young age. Hell, so was I! I was just crowned yesterday at eighteen!" My emotions are getting to me. My stress is getting to me.

Setting the crown down upon the desk, I look around the room. Elijah leans against the desk, memories flooding my mind of both meetings and other things Zion and I did in here.