SEVENTEEN

The whole palace is silent tonight, not a sound heard throughout the massive halls. Whispers cease to exist unlike a few hours ago when voices could be heard everywhere. Alphas everywhere are shocked, and I am too, shocked that a fellow Alpha of theirs, all he did was reject someone and now he is on trial for death.

Getting up from the bed, I grab from my nightstand the clock, just staring at it as the seconds go bye to the small 'click.' I sit on the floor with my legs crossed in Indian position, the device right before me as I look to the right, the heavy drapes pulled shut, blocking out any of the crescent moon. Usually I would be turning to the Moon Goddess right now, asking for wisdom or a sign of what I should do, but those are the ancient practices that only the Seekers still do.

There's a knocking at my door, a swift set of knocks, each one spaced out into a rhythm. Already knowing who it is, I head over, opening the door as I greet Elijah with a sour face. He smiles, lifting up a container of alcohol and two shot glasses. As he stands before my door, he raises them high, his smile widening as he offers drinks to ease my mind.

"Come on in."

For the next five minutes we are silent by the fireplace as we take our first shot, the alcohol burning as it goes down.

"So, I heard about the dinner party and the drama that followed...quite the story," Elijah begins as I nod, knowing with where this is going Im going to need another shot. I pour myself another and take it quickly, Elijah amused by all of this. He's lucky he's not a piece of the drama. "How the King put Alpha Sebbie in the dungeons and will be trailed tomorrow. So weird, how he cares so much for your rejection."

"Believe me, I don't understand it either," I comment, getting to my feet as Elijah leans back in his seat. "He's just so confusing. Besides, now the issue of my parent's death is thrust into all of this and both of them say something else. Hell, Sebastian told me two different sides of how they died!"

Elijah takes my small outburst as the time to pour me another shot, only this time making the glass full. "Sounds miserable."

"It is," I mumble, crossing my arms as I take a seat next to him. "I have no clue what I'm doing what what to do." Elijah nods, pursing his lips together as he thinks this all through. "Do you trust your best friend?"

His eyes meet mine, kind of shocked that I would ask a question like that. That I would question his trust with his King and best friend. "As my King, I do not trust all due to the fact that many things he cannot tell me. As my best friend, I believe every damn word he speaks."

By the next shot I'm starting to feel the effects, rejecting another as I explain to Elijah I want to have a clear brain and non-pulsing brain tomorrow when I try and figure out what to do. "He wants to kill Sebastian and I think he's just overreacting," I add to the conversation. I don't want Sebastian to die simply because our fight was over months ago, for we both rejected the other, end of the ordeal. We should not be facing new trials for that rejection now just because some alpha male says he wants justice. "I rejected Sebastian was well."

"Really?" The way Elijah asks that question makes me know he does not believe it. "Because I think there's more to the story that he rejected you and you, happily in return, rejected him. You're not that foolish to throw away a mate."

"And maybe I am," I snap, getting to my feet, stumbling a tad bit as I hold onto the wall. "Maybe I didn't want him as a mate and was glad that he felt the same."

Elijah shakes his head, setting down his glass as he stands up. "I think we both know that is not true." A scowl passes my face. "Do you have to get more drunk for the story?" He offers, already knowing my answer as he hands me another glass.