NINE

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts," Elijah mutters as I stand before the mirror, holding up a dress to my body as the moon begins to rise.

Looking to meet his gaze in the mirror, I raise an eyebrow. "Why the Shakespeare?" I ask, putting the dress down as Elijah leans back in the chair, swallowing another mouthful of his brandy. "Random flash back to school?"

He chuckles, pinching the bridge of his nose as he shakes his head. "I think you'll understand what I meant tonight."

"What?!" I hiss, scowling at Elijah as he winks at me.

"When you're awake the whole night like every other one here as you contemplate life." I scowl, grabbing a hair band as I tie it back, heading to the front door of my room. "Going to see your lover?"

"No, to get your tampons," I snap, leaving the room in a hurry, heading back up the same stairwell that leads to the tower. My legs carry me fast as they begin to burn, my vision becoming a tunnel as I'm focused upon the door.

As my fingers grasp the knob, I twist and open, the cold night breeze greeting me with open arms as I slam the door shut, looking out upon the forest. My wolf howls to be let loose as the moonlight hits my face, it's warmth absent but the power there. I bow my head, knowing the respect to pay to the moon when you are in a tough situation.

Yesterday Zion discovered an Alpha was my mate, the man that rejected me, and for a day, I have no seen him. I've been told by countless people that he would like me at certain places at certain times, and when I am there, he never shows. For dinner I ate in silence as the maids made sure ai was attended to and the chef prepared a beautiful meal. I haven't asked as to where he is, but rather ignored his absence, finding it a gift.

I spent my day wondering around the underground rooms, like the sorceress rooms from centuries ago when King's would keep sorceresses within the walls, using magic to work his deeds or interpreting riddles or signs from the stars. As I had ventured farther on, I found the dungeon, where the worst men and some women were kept, even one of the Queens where she spent her last days due to an affair with an Elf. Now, converted into storage for supplies for parties or meetings, extra wine storage, and countless other purposes.

I rest against the brick railing, watching as guards walk around the walls, talking as they pass one another, their eyes watching for danger. Out to the West is the village of noble's and royals where massive houses stand, thick trees, and brick streets to show off their wealth and titles.

For another two hours I stand within the tower, looking out upon the land as I can see the human world in the distance. Some of the skyscrapers can barely be seen by the naked eye, a small line that glows as I sigh. I miss it, I want to be back out there, away from here.

I get it, most girls would be thrilled to be here, many would call me ungrateful or weird, many would be unable to understand why I still question the King. Why do I question him? Because second chance mates are myth and my mate rejected me, plus, he has the faint scar of a bite mark, a mark of a mate. Elijah once commented that he 'chose' me, and oddly enough, I think he is right, that the lunatic Elijah is right. Zion cannot simply want me for a mate, he's the King, there has to be a catch. But what catch? I'm a rogue, something not smiled upon, I'm barely even eighteen while he's way older, I cannot fight well, I'm not smart like some Harvard scholar, I'm of no nobility, and am just the plain Jane people see me as.

In another hour I find myself walking past the massive ballroom, a group of maids washing the floor. My footsteps echo throughout another hall, the pale blue stain glass windows beautiful in the moonlight. "Lady Sybil," a voice calls out from behind.