FORTY-NINE

"Nixon? Don't tell me this is some stupid cliché story where he wants me."

"He wants me," Zion replies, causing my skin to pale.

"What?" I ask, shocked as I pull away from Zion. "Like what? Romantic? Or-

"Dead."

"He wants you dead?" I ask, my voice cautious as my fingers begin to shake. "Why was I moved from the palace?"

Zion shakes his head, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You're the King. King Zion, you could order his arrest for all you want," I state, sitting back upon a stool, watching as the Alpha King paces back and forth through the kitchen. "If he wants you de-

"Sybil stop!"

I'm shut down, my mouth shutting right away.

Zion stares at me, his eyes turning black, his body tense. I can tell his wolf is close to being let loose. "Just stop asking questions and talking for one! For one!"

My eyebrows knit together.

"Is that anyway to speak to your wife?!"

His eyes go completely black.

"I am here for you, Zion!" I snap. "If an Alpha wants you dead and you pull me from the palace there better be a fucking good reason behind it and you'd better have a plan."

I watch as Zion nods, his head bowed in defeat as I call his name. Zion looks up to me, watching as I motion him to come closer with my finger. As he approaches, I reach out my hands, wrapping them around his neck as I pull him close.

Looking into his eyes, those black orbs turn golden once more. The same golden shade from my dream.

"You know I love you."

"The idea or actually in love with me?" I ask, cocking my head to the side as Zion takes a step closer.

"I'm in love with you and nothing you say or do could ever change that."

A smile spreads across my face. "Glad to hear," I whisper, a hint of laughter in my voice as think back to Nixon.

Nixon was nice to me. Nixon cared.

At least he tried to seem that way.

To think Zion would even let him back into the palace after the murder of Lillian Rice, to think Zion would even let Nixon close to me.

"Why?" I ask, my voice a small whisper.

"Why what?"

I take in a deep breath. "Why did you allow me around Nixon when you knew he had killed Lillian?"

Zion's eyes move away from my own, flickering around the room as my nerves begin to make my fingers shake.

"I always had men watching, and I know, I know Nixon would never hurt you."

"If he wanted to hurt you he would of come after me," I comment, watching as Zion shakes his head.

"Not Nixon. He doesn't think that way. He doesn't care for my mental state being harmed. Nixon wants me dead."

"Why?"

"Three people, a love triangle. Lillian was the center, Nixon and I were only the other two sides," Zion begins. "She was the center of our worlds. We did not want to share. Nixon thought Lillian had chosen him in the end, happy as I suffered while he had Lillian...but the second he found out Lillian had chosen me after all, he killed her."