FORTY-SEVEN

Hands land upon my body, causing my eyes to shoot wide open.

The hands are cold, wrapped tight around my ankles, the covers of the blanket vanished as the figure before me is carved out in an ebony black silhouette.

"Get off of me!" I scream, hoping someone will hear as panic floods my body.

"Sybil," a voice whispers, the hands leaving my body as I try and calm down, reaching for the dagger under my pillow. "Sybil, it's me."

The lights turn on, Elijah before me as he stands there, still in his pajamas, his hair all a crazy mess, and his skin pale. It's as if he's scared. Scared of what?

"Elijah? What the hell was-

I'm cut off by his hands. "We have to leave now."

"What do you mean?" I ask, my voice a quick whisper as he tugs me from bed. "What's going on."

"Zion."

A lump forms in my throat as panic is replaced with fear of death. But my mark does not feel numb or in pain.

"What happened?" Worry fills every syllable of my statement as Elijah shakes his head, handing me my robe.

"We need to leave. We don't have much time."

"What happened?" I ask again, my voice stern.

"We need to le-

"Tell me what the fuck happened to my husband!" I snap, my blood boiling as I spot Penelope by the door.

"Are you going to tell her or should I?" She asks, pushing off the door as I see the doors are held shut by a metal chain wrapped around the handles.

"What is going on?" I ask, trying to calm down with steady breaths.

"Zion has given us direct orders to get you out of the palace. We are heading to a safe haven Zion's family has owned for centuries."

"Why?" I ask, heading into my closet as I begin grappling what to wear.

I know what this means. It means I'm in danger. It means I better get dressed, grab the dagger from my pillow, and follow whatever Elijah and Penelope say.

Penelope follows me into the closet, making sure to help me pick my clothes. She's dressed complete in black, giving me the same color to change into. "Zion called Elijah through a private line, he said we needed to get you out of the palace and take you to the safe house."

"Where is the safe house?" I ask, struggling to change as my fingers become shaky.

"I don't know. Elijah was given the location and Zion has a driver waiting for us in the woods. The driver will also be our pilot. All I know is that the safe house is somewhere near the Alps."

"Goddess," I comment, wondering what kind of trouble I am in. Who is trying to harm me? How close they are to reaching me...

"Let's go," Penelope says as I'm all dressed, following her out as Elijah waits me at the door.

"Zion says not to trust anyone. We sneak you out of the palace with Penelope without getting seen. Penelope will travel with you until you land in Europe. There, the Alpha King of the Eastern Werewolf Kingdom will personally escort you with his men to a safe house."

"You?" I ask Elijah, putting on a jacket as Elijah opens the door.

A girl stands there, one who looks like a carbon copy of me.

"Alice and I will be walking in the opposite direction, distracting whoever it out to get you. I will be at the safe house a day after you. I leave tomorrow night when I'm supposed to be flying for California."