EIGHT

My eyes widen as Marisa closes the door, leaving me to let my heart skip a beat. I won't say I've never wanted to dress in some of the nicest brands rather than my cheap leggings and old sweaters.

It's color coordinated, thankfully neutral colors, but some pastels, from shorts to dresses, shoes to jewelry, the closet is stalked full of attire, making me wonder how much King Zion paid for everything here.

A day ago I went out on a second run with the King, this time reaching the end of the magical field, the human world looking like a bore of colors as we sat there as just stared. Once again, I saw those lavender eyes in the distance, watching, just in the same place only to disappear.

"Lady Sybil," Elijah greets as I step into the throne room. "A pleasure once more." Looking over my shoulder, I see the King's best friend, clad in a simple gray suit, a smile upon his face, one that makes me think he is up to no good.

A group of maids walk through the throne room, supplies in hand as they scurry along. "Why is it so busy?" I ask, watching as they vanish into another hall, chatting about the rooms to clean.

"Zion did not tell you?"

I raise an eyebrow.

"The Senate will be in session in two days."

"Damn it!" I shout, forgetting where I am and who is with me. My hands fly to my mouth, Elijah giving me a questioning look as those eyes haunt my mind.

The Senate means all the Alphas will be called from King Zion's empire to attend a meeting ranging from a couple of hours to possibly (the longest in history) several months. I pray that Sebastian is not Alpha yet of my old pack, that his father is still in charge.

"Well then," Elijah carries on, looking to his shoes as my face flushed red. "I take it you're not happy?"

Think of something to say, think of something believable, I tell myself, trying to think of how to get myself out of this one. "It just came up so fast,"
I chuckle, watching as Elijah doesn't buy into it.

"Anyway..." He adds, watching as I regain my calm. "Zion wanted me to find you, said to tell you he wants to see you in the music room."

"Why?" I ask, watching as his face brightens up.

"Oh, you know," he whispers, adding a small hip thrust as my lips form a firm line and my eyebrows knit together. "Good luck."

"Shut up," I hiss, passing bye Elijah as I recall the many halls leading to the music room, a place that held a massive grand piano, harp, and countless other instruments that I'd find a bore. I did marching band my first year of high school, playing the French Horn only to be told I couldn't play to save my life.

I can sense Elijah following me, walking down the same halls as I give him sharp glares every turn or so. "I don't need a babysitter," I snap, watching as Elijah chuckles, annoying me.

"Compared to me and King Zion, you're a small child," he comments as I soon find the music room, stopping before the door as my shoulders tense. I don't know why I am needed. Why I'm needed in general here within the walls of the palace. The King just simply stats he wants me here and there's nothingI can do due to the crazy security, not to mention the King would be outraged if he found me trying to escape. "Don't be so shy, Sybil, I've seen you two together. No one dares talk to the King the ways you have."

"I bet you have," I mutter, laying a hand upon the doorknob, my wolf telling me to open the door, to not disrespect the King and go against his wishes, but the human side of me wants to dare him, to tempt him, to show him a girl who will not bow down to him like everyone else.