Chapter Nineteen - Long Stories

Tyler's POV

Against my better judgement I sit beside Chloe trying to get information out of her about what happened to Bonnie. I keep prodding but she won't talk to me or Amber.

The nurse walks out of the sick bay, "She's awake." The nurse says quietly.

I run into the room and Bonnie is propped up on a couple of pillows her eyes look tired and she's struggling to keep them open.

"Hey." I say surprising myself with how gentle my tone is.

"Hey, didn't scare you too much did I?" She says tiredly.

"What the hell happened, you scared the hell out of me." I try not to sound as worried as I had been.

"I haven't eaten all day, I only had that coffee with Chloe. I think that's why I...." She trails off.

"Someone has to explain what's going on, Chloe won't talk to anyone but you."

Her eyes connect with mine for the first time, "I fainted that's all, and as for Chloe well you won't believe me anyway."

"What makes you think that?!" I say a little too incredulously.

"I don't want to argue Ty."

I realise I'm losing my temper, but I don't want to not with her. She's the girl I love but the frustration with this whole situation is overbearing. No one is telling me what the hell is going on including her.

"Tell me or else!" I snap through clenched teeth before I can stop myself.

She looks hurt, afraid of the way I acted. I didn't mean to say it like that, it just happened. Her eyes avoid mine falling to stare at her lap.

"Bonnie." I say the gentle tone returning to my voice.

"Just get out." She says quietly.

"I didn't mean to-"

"I SAID GET OUT!" She yells.

Amber appears in the doorway unsure of what to say to me. Her green eyes glued to mine and hands clasped on her hips, it's obvious she has taken Bonnie's side without needing and explanation.

"Tyler I think you should leave." Amber speaks with nothing but harshness lacing her voice. I obey I know she's right, I screwed up the old me had ruled over the me that I had become. Nothing hurt me more than the pain and hurt in Bonnie's eyes.

Amber slams the door behind me and I hadn't noticed that Aiden was in there with them. I slump into a chair next to Chloe, even she cringes at the sight of me. She has no idea what happened, but Bonnie acting that way was a dead giveaway.

~~~~~~~~

Bonnie's POV
"What got into him?" I half snort at Aiden, probably because he knows Tyler the best.

Aiden shrugs absently as if it's totally normal. "It's a long story. Tyler is a long story."

Amber and I just stare at him, we want to know the story and we aren't going to back down. Every time someone says it's a long story, it's never really a good one.

"It's not mine to tell." Aiden says stubbornly.

"Oh we aren't asking. Besides its not like he will ever tell us." Amber says.

Aiden looks from Amber to me and the back again, then finally gives in. "It all started when he was a kid, his dad used to beat him." Aiden stops  as if unsure of whether he should continue. "Not long after Tyler's tenth birthday, his dad died in an accident on a building site. Tyler never cried about it, but it's because of his dad he gets that temper sometimes. His dad had the same one. Tyler told me he has nightmares of becoming like his dad a bad tempered wife and child beater."

Something feels like it's latched onto my heart, Tyler's mum had taken the beating too. Tyler is scared of becoming like him, and every time he has an out burst he gets more afraid. My mind is in overdrive, I yelled at him out of fear but I didn't know the whole story. I launch out of the bed and fling the door open but only Chloe is sitting there, he is gone.

"Where did he go?!" I ask Chloe but she shrugs clearly she doesn't know.

"He's gone!" I say to Amber and Aiden panic rising within me. "Where would he go? He wouldn't.."

"He's a lot of things but he's not suicidal." Aiden says appalled that I would even suggest it.

"You need to calm down, we all know what happens when you panic." Amber says as calmly as she can manage.

She's right the last thing I needed was a debilitating asthma attack right now. I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror my dark hair is messy so I pull it up into a messy bun, that's better than a messy mop. The end of day bell sounds and the corridors fill with noise.

"I'm going to find him." I turn and leave without waiting for a response, my hatchback is waiting in the car park as always. I have a rough idea of where to look first, the lake. I start the car pumping the gas far too much. I pull out my phone and connect it to the radio and hit shuffle.

I'm just turning out of the car park when Centuries by Fall Out Boy starts blasting through the system. I drive all the way to the lake spot he has taken me too a few times before, but when I pull up there is no car and bench stands alone. I spend another hour driving all over town searching for him, but there isn't a trace anywhere. The music is so loud I'm getting a head ache but I won't turn it down, it's the only thing keeping me sane right now.  As a last resort I pull into Tyler's drive way, if he was here I wouldn't know his car is always in the garage. I wander up the porch steps and try to look calm and composed as I knock.

Tyler's mum opens the door, she looks like she's been cooking something, there's a smear of flour on her cheek. Her hair is immaculate as always.

"Bonnie? What are you doing here?"

"Hi I'm looking for Ty is he here?" I know I should have said Tyler but I just didn't.

"Yes he's in his room, why? You look like you've walked to Canada and back." She turns around and calls out to Tyler.

I didn't think this through, what was I going to say without dumping Aiden in it for telling me? Tyler appears moments later his ice blue eyes as shocked as I feel.