Heartbreaking Rush

Days went to weeks.

And in those weeks were hell.

My nightmares became worse and all I could think about was Ryder. I don't even know why I do when all heever did was just demand things out of me. "Come here", "Stay there", "Don't talk to him", "Keep your phone on".

His possessiveness, dominance, and roughness...

His touch. His hold. His lips...

I unconsciously touched my neck where he last gave me a love bite. Am I really a fool to be feeling this way? Am I really this vulnerable and stupid.

"Here we are."

I paid my fare and got out. "Thank you." I looked to make sure no one in particular was in the diner and quickly headed in through the back. Just as I entered, all eyes landed on me. Their frowns soon turned up into a grin. "Scarlett!"

I gave them a wave and moved about the kitchen to give them hugs. "Where have you been?"

"How are you?"

"It's been forever!"

"Hey! What is-" Jeremy quietly yelled and then stopped when he saw me. His eyes lit up and immediately I was embraced into one of his fatherly hugs. "Scarlett! Oh god! Are you okay? Have you been eating? Why are you so skinny? Where the hell have you been?"

"Jeremy, calm down!" Nancy scolded him then pried him off of me only to give me a hug.

Being around them made me feel better. It felt better. It felt like home, like where I belong. Where I, should, belong. "I miss you guys so much," I mumbled. I pulled back and wiped away my tears, laughing. "God you guys look so old!"All their faces were wary and tired. Dark bags occupied under their eyes making them look much older than they should be.

"Hey!" They all scolded.

I broke out laughing as all of them soon followed suit. We gathered together and hugged once more.

"Alrighty! Back to work and you young lady...I still have an apron for you."

So I ended up working all day until closing time. "Whew. I'm glad you're back girlie. We all would have been busting our asses out here!"

I looked to Nancy with a tired yet sad smile. "It seems it has been more busy than ever. I'm also glad I came back but...Why didn't you guys open for hire?"

Nancy rolled her eyes. "Jeremy said it'll be no use just in case you came back."

I stopped wiping the table and straightened my back. "Well...I think you guys should."

"And why's that?" Jeremy asked as the swing door swung open. He put down his bucket and started helping us wipe the table down.

"Because I'm not staying," I said quietly. They both stopped and looked towards me as I stared back with the same tired and sad smile. "I'm only back to visit."

"Right," Nancy scoffed. She Straightened her back, cracking it. "Where are you working then, if not here?"

"Another diner."

"Where?" Jeremy pried.

I looked everywhere else but them and proceeded to wipe down the table then put up the chairs. "On the other side of the city," I mumbled.

"What?!" They both yelled in sync.

I flinched and squeezed the towel in myhands.

Nancy came over to me and held my shoulders. "The hell are you doing all the way over there? Do you know how dangerous it is over there?!"