Masked Facade

I walked up to the railing and watched the flames blaze on as the firefighters try to take it out as quickly as possible. Leo walked up beside me, blowing the smoke in a different direction before he spoke. "You remind me so much of Ryder. I'm not sure if I should be proud of it or not." I looked up at him confused as he gave me a smile and then shuffled my hair a bit. "Ryder stands from afar and watches his enemy go down in his same bloodied clothes and skin. He doesn't leave until he knows their really dead."

Ryder.

I pressed my lips together and looked away. My mind automatically switched itself off to put that jerk into my mindset. His eyes. His height. His broad shoulders. His deep voice. His hold. His kisses. His...Leo's phone goes off breaking through the music of the crickets and the bass of the sirens. I unclenched my fists and tried to relax. He pulls his phone out and shows me the text as it reads: Identified. I nodded and walked past him and to the car. "Let's go home."

On the way home was silent. As we entered the driveway of the manse, it was also quiet. All the lights were on yet which could only mean one thing. "Queen must be really angry," Leo mumbled. The other two in the car with us was seen visibly shaking making me crack a smile to my face. Leo audibly gulped. "And you're still stained with blood," he then said with slight fear laced in his voice. I looked over to him as he began to stir uncomfortably. I bursted out laughing from their silliness.

Entering the house, I went to find Ang in the family room with her arms crossed and wore a much angry expression on her face. Beside her, sitting in his big lazy boy chair was Kamier with his head thrown back and mouth wide open. I looked to Ang whose eyes fluttered and swam with frustration and horror but kept her mouth shut.

I plastered a smile on. "Ang," I greeted.

She suddenly stood up fuming with anger, waking Kamier up in the process. Kamier was standing up in a flash and looked around for the threat but when he saw me he sighed in relief. "For fuck's sake child." I kept my eyes on Ang as she heavily breathed. Her breath shook and her hands in tight fists. Her green eyes starts to shimmer over. "Oh god, Angie, don't cry!" Kamier says as he pulls her in which she refuses and pushes him away.

"No dammit! She's a woman! She's my daughter-in-law! She's suppose to be at home with me and not out there doing my son's jobs for them! I am so sick and tired of her coming home drenched in blood, with bruised knuckles and a busted lip! I will not have you put away for life Scarlett!" Her voice shook as she cries out her worries. Tears poured from her eyes as she holds herself. "I cannot sleep at night knowing that you are still out there killing someone or more or less putting yourself in danger's way. I fear for your life yet all you do is throw it away because of my shitty son who decided to get locked up without even a proper goodbye to anyone!"

Ang walks up to me and holds my arms. She stares straight into my eyes as she trembles. "I know you're hurt. I know you're angry. But doing this won't help you, Scar," she softly says.

I gave her a smile and grabbed her hands and held them together. "I did all of this not only for myself but for the reputation of this family and him. You've heard the rumors that people have had spread and I will not let anyone say anything to disrespect us while that jerk of a son of yours is locked away. And if I have to become the same beast of a monster as he, then it shall be...as it should be."

She let out a huff of a sob. "God I hate you!" She pushed me away as I stumbled back. "I'm suppose to be mad right now yet I'm so fucking proud of what you have done! I'm suppose to be frustrated with you yet happy that you're willing to do this for us!" She starts bawling now as she angrily wipes away her tears. I kept staring at her making sure she's not acting it all out but that gleam in her eye told me everything.

"Ang, ma...you're overreacting it."

"Shut up!" She snapped at me as she continues to wipe her tears away. Ang starts to hiccup now and sniffle.

With an annoyed sigh, I gave in to her. "Fine," I said as I turned around and made my way to the stairs.

"Fine what?!" Ang says from below me. "Scar!"

"You win. I'll just stay cooped up in my room from here on out." I turned the corner and quickly pressed myself against the wall.

"You know she knows you're lying right?" Kamier asks her.

"Psh! No she doesn't," Ang says in her regular voice making me roll my eyes. "Now that I won, I think I deserve a good drink! Woo!"

Hearing her footsteps go towards the kitchen, I came out of hiding. I leaned against the wall and crossed my arms. Kamier shuffled the back of his hair and then looked up at me with his hands on his hips. "Really, Scar? You weren't suppose to give in that easily." I didn't say anything but smile. Kamier looked at me with a deep meaningful look but didn't say anything. It was a familiar look though which brought an ache to my chest, making it feel heavy. So I gave him a smile and bid him goodnight.

"Scar," he then calls out making me turn back to look at him. "I don't regret teaching you anything. You're the best thing that have ever happened in this family and I only wish you to be safe."

I took in a slow deep breath then locked my lips. "What are you trying to say Kamier. That I've overstepped my boundaries? That I've done too much than I should have?"

Kamier walked up the steps. Once he reached me, he placed his hands on my shoulders. "You're my daughter-in-law. I only want you to be safe, even though I know now you can clearly take care after yourself. It's been seven long difficult years and in that time, you've become a strong and even more independent person. I mean, shit Scar. Everyone is afraid of you." Kamier chuckles as I kept staring at him, wanting to know what he's really trying to say. "Although all you've done is admirable, I want the old Scarlett. I miss her and I'm sure a lot of others do too."

The old Scarlett?

I scoffed. Then laughed. I shrugged his hands off of me and turned around and proceeded to walk to my room still laughing, finding his words hilarious. Before going any further I stopped and swirled around with rage clear in my eyes with a much crazed smile on my face. "She's been dead ever since the day your son left her on that hospital bed while she, cried, her damn eyes out for a man who caused her NOTHING, but pain and loneliness. The old Scarlett? Hah!"

Kamier stared at me with the most pain expression, seeing through my facade of humor. Tears start to brim my eyes and the heaviness in my chest had gotten even heavier. The doors throughout the hall opened up to reveal Landon, Louie and Nina. I looked to them with a smirk. "Don't tell me you all pathetically miss her too?" I hissed out.

They stared between me and Kamier confused but once they got the jest of it, their faces fell. Landon walked up to me and reached over but I slapped his hand away. "Don't, fucking, touch me," I growled, feeling the familiar betrayal evade my body. "You were suppose to side with me on this Landon. You said you loved the new me. But I guess all you ever said to me were lies to keep me here. Here, in this...HELL of a place without its true Prince of Hell."

My breath shook. My tears pushing to fall. My knees weakening as I stood before all of these...liars. I scoffed with a laugh. I turned myself around and headed to my room as they called out after me. I closed my door and locked it. I grabbed some new clothes and a towel and went to take my shower. I sat at the corner of the tub and brought my knees in close. The close to hot water pounded down on me as I held in my frustrated scream. "I fucking hate you."

Two weeks went by and I still stayed in my room. They'll come knocking at my door but I paid them no care and let my mind escape to a dark abyss where it showed of a broken girl and her scarred body. A lonely and depressed girl whose innocent heart slowly masked itself into a cold and heartless one. I sat on my bed and replayed the video over as time passed slowly on by. Knock after knock. Voice after irritating voice come to bid me to eat or to come out of my room. I turned up the volume to my headset wanting to block all of them out.

"I'll see you in seven years, amica mea (Latin: my love). Tuus sum ego in aeternum (Latin: I am yours forever)."

I brushed the back of my hand against the screen of his face as the sadness burdened my oh so weak heart. "Amica mea," I whispered. "Deesset te ego. (Latin: I miss you) I learned Latin just for you you jerk." I clench my hand and released it as I leaned against the wall, still staring at his handsome emeralds. And slowly, I drift off dreaming about him once more.