Chapter 12

Kat
February 14, 2005

*

2 weeks later

*

"Do I really have to go?" I plead with my best friend, hoping to stay in tonight.

"Yes." She gives me a "don't question me" look that I'm sure she will use on her children someday.

"But... will he be there?" She knows exactly who I'm talking about.

"Oh, I don't know... Probably not?" I can sense her hesitation.

"You are a terrible liar." I roll my eyes as I continue getting ready.

"Listen, just don't think about that jackass tonight. Have fun with me!" She grabs onto my arm, bouncing with excitement.

"Oh please, like you will have time for anyone other than your Valentine." She tries to object, but I hold up my hand to stop her. "We both know I will be sitting in the corner by myself, probably watching him with some skank... silently praying for a quick merciful death."

"God, you are so morbid. Come on! It's Valentine's Day!" She turns to the mirror to finish her makeup. "Plus Luke and Soph will be there and Kai is really excited to see you." Kai had grown on me, despite our rocky start.

"Crap... He is totally going to be there." I figured he would be, but knowing everyone else would be there only cemented it.

I had somehow managed to avoid him, at least directly, for over a month. It was quite an accomplishment since I enjoyed being around his friends so much.

Must have been by the grace of God. Oh no... now I sound like Mom. Dad would be so proud, the thought leaving a bitter aftertaste in my brain.

This is so not what I need tonight.

"Well, I actually know someone who might take your mind off of him. He's been wanting to meet you for weeks." She isn't meeting my eyes and she's biting her fingernails. Crap, she must be really nervous.

"Ness... what are you talking about?" I'm not actually sure I want to know.

"Well... this guy... Jonathan... He's seen you around... and well... he kinda wanted me to introduce you... tonight." She paces the room like a caged animal, as she continues to chew the skin on her fingers since there's nothing left of her nails at this point.

"Ness, calm down. Please stop, at least for the sake of your poor hands." I try to process what she just dropped on me, as I grab her hand, forcing her to stop pacing. "Okay, so, why does this Jonathan guy want to meet me so badly?" I take a seat on her bed.

She scoffs, sitting next to me. "Come on, Katie-bug... Even you aren't that dense."

I just stare at her, completely confused.

"Ugh... Seriously? He thinks you are hot and he wants some of that." She gestures towards me.

"What?!? Jeez, did you really have to put it like that?" I can feel my face burning from embarrassment.

"Oh god, Katie-bug, you are such a prude. I swear! Maybe Johnny can help with that." She giggles and bounces on her bed. "Ooooh, maybe he's into some kinky shit! You know, it's always the pretty boys."

My mouth pops open as I feel the blush take over my face. I know I'm only feeding fuel to her fire, but I can't even try to hide my shock. I am pathetic.