Chapter 44

Kat
May 21, 2005

*

Same day

*

"You have feelings for me?"  He's standing again, looking down into my eyes. 

Crap.  Why did I say that?

"Uh, yeah..."  I cup my hand lightly over my face, trying to hide my embarrassment. "I think I should probably leave now."

I can't stay here and wait for the humiliation.  I need to leave.  His room is suffocating me.

"Uh, no."  His brows draw together in confusion.  "You definitely shouldn't leave." 

"And why is that?"  Here it comes.  Whatever reason he has to do this cruel prank. 

"Because I want you to stay."  He tries to wrap his arms around me, but I press my hands on his chest to keep distance between us. 

Figuratively and literally.

"So the humiliation can come in the morning?  No, thanks."  Crap!  I didn't mean to say that out loud.  What's wrong with me?

"What the fuck are you talking about?"  His words come out so harsh I can feel as they slam into my face.

I know my mouth is hanging open, but it's not listening to my silent pleas to close.  Come on body, work with me here.  Just this once. 

Of course, I couldn't formulate a response even if my mouth would cooperate.

"You're humiliated by me?"  His face takes on a strange mix of hurt and offense.

"What?  That's not-" My confusion only grows as he cuts me off.  Why is he upset?  I'm the one who confessed my feelings and got rejected.

"No, I get it.  Don't try to spare my feelings, Kat."  His face morphs into what looks like reluctant acceptance, as he blows out a harsh breath.  "Who would want to date a fucked up virgin playboy?"

"Uh..." I raise my hand like I'm back in class.  "I would.  Well, not that you're-"

His lips descend on mine before I can correct him.  What's happening?

He pulls back, looking down at me with excitement dancing in his eyes.  "You want to date me?  For real?"

"Uh..." I try to pull out of his grasp, I need space.  My head is spinning. "What's happening?"

He takes a step back, looking at me cautiously as he drops his hands to his side.  His voice comes out low. "I'm not sure anymore."

"Are we having the same conversation?"  I move away from the bed, pacing behind him, feeling the room expand slightly.

Back and forth.
Back and forth.

Each step making me feel a little more at ease.  A run outside would feel a lot better, but my curiosity is winning out.  So far.

I look over to find he's now facing me and his gaze is following my movement.

Back and forth.
Back and forth.

I take a deep breath.  "Because first you use my physical attraction to get me to admit I want to be with you.  Then you flat out ask me if I have feelings for you and again I say yes, but when I try to leave to avoid the embarrassment, you ask me to stay."