Chapter 19

Ben
February 19, 2005

*

Same day

*

"Beautiful?" Her eyes bug out of her head.  "I thought you said-"

I cut her off before she can go full hurricane.  "Chill out, Beautiful, it's you."  She looks unconvinced.  "Seriously, check the number."

"I'm the first contact in your phone?"  She looks at me, shocked.  It's just a coincidence that it comes first alphabetically, but I'm not saying a thing.

"Aww... Isn't that sweet, sugar butt?"  Kai laughs, pulling Barbie against him.

She looks really offended.  "Sugar butt?  Are you calling me fat?"

"What?  No!  Like your ass is so sweet, I just want to take a bite."  He chomps his teeth, making a biting motion.

"Ugh... You guys are sickening!"  Vanessa makes a gagging noise. 

"Oh please, you and Nate are just as bad!"  Sophie scoffs.

"Yeah... and you and Luke aren't disgusting at all."  Vanessa rolls her eyes.

"All right, we get it.  You are all mushy and gross, can we keep going?"  I really didn't want to do this with a full audience, but it's too late now.

"Okay, next up... Bikini blonde?  Seriously Ben?"  She rolls her eyes.

"Just delete it."  She's going to read each one out loud?  Shit.  This is really gonna suck. 

"Blonde Stacy?  Hey! She actually has a name." Kat jokes.  God, she's adorable. 

"Hey, I remember her.  Although her name was Lacy and you always called her the wrong thing." Nate opens his stupid mouth.

"Oops."  I shrug.  Who cares what her name was?

"Wow..."  Kat glanced at me before pressing the button.  "And she's deleted."

"Blonde Barbie?"  Kat looks across the table. "You don't mean-"

She's cut off by Kai yelling.  "What the fuck man?"  Oh shit.  This doesn't look good. At. All.

Barbie lays her hand on Kai's arm. "Calm down, baby.  We exchanged numbers just in case I couldn't get ahold of you.  We've never even used them, right, Benny?" 

God I hate when she calls me that.  Makes my skin crawl. "Yep, that is exactly right." 

Except it's not. 

Not only does she not have my number, it's far from innocent.  She wanted to hook up with me and insisted I put her number in my phone. 

I never called her, but why would she lie?  They weren't even dating yet, were they?

"Should I leave it then?"  Kat looks at me, but Kai answers through gritted teeth.

"Delete it."  Guess he didn't quite believe the excuse either.

"Seriously, baby, I told you.  It's completely innocent."  Barbie tries to reassure him, but he just crosses his arms, looking quite intimidating. 

"Delete it, Beautiful.  Only you, remember?"  Honestly, I would have deleted it myself, but I completely forgot it was in there. 

I wouldn't go near Barbie with a 10 foot pole, even if she wasn't dating one of my best friends.