Chapter 39

Ben
May 21, 2005

*

Same day

*

"Maybe we should leave."  McClain's is about the last place I want to be right now.

"Bro, Kat said they would be here.  Just chill." Nate tries to reassure me as we sit in our usual booth, but I'm full of too much nervous energy.  I can't sit still.  

"Yeah, but why are we here?  They hate us."  This is such a bad idea.  I consider leaving as my leg bounces wildly under the table.

"Because we love them and want to win them back."  I start fidgeting with my hands as Nate looks me over.  "We do want to win them back don't we?"

"Fuck yeah.  I just think they are going to murder us.  Kat will go full hurricane on me."  I just know she won't be happy I'm here.  She can barely stand to look at me.

"Hurricane?  Do I even want to know?"  He gives me a sideways glance, like it might be something inappropriate.

"Dude, you were there.  You know when we first met, I thought her name was Katrina like the hurricane?"  He just shakes his head.  Guess he was too far down Red's throat to know what was going on around him.

"Whatever.  She's a hurricane, get over it."  I don't care if he understands it or not.

"Well, if she's a hurricane, Ness is a... a... uh... tornado."  He seems proud of himself, but it only lasts a second.

"I'm a what?"  Red appears next to us.  Oh shit.  This isn't a good start.

I look around her, relieved that Kat isn't trailing behind her.  Maybe she's not coming. 

I'm not sure if I'm more relieved or disappointed, though.

"Uh... Ben was just saying that, uh... Kat is a... a hurricane, right Ben?" He's so nervous he can barely get the words out. 

Red glares at me like I insulted her friend, but it's not meant to be one.

"Calm down, Red.  She knows about it, it's sort of a pet name."  I realize my mistake too late.  "Or at least it... was."

"What the hell does it mean?"  She's still ready for a fight, even though there's no reason to be mad.

"She's powerful and strong."  I sigh. "Even in the chaos, she's beautiful.  She has... had the power to either break down my walls or break me."  I didn't mean to be so honest.  What the fuck is wrong with me? 

I would blame the alcohol, but I have barely touched my beer.  The thought of Kat showing up has my stomach in knots.

Red slides into the booth, the fight gone.  Now they're both looking at me with pity on their eyes.  God dammit.

"Guess you know which one she picked."  I give a self-deprecating laugh. 

"Oh Ben..."  Red pats my hand like it might help, but it doesn't.  I just want them to stop looking at me like that.

"So, a tornado, huh?"  I turn the conversation onto my poor best friend.

Nate's eyes go wide, he wasn't expecting me to betray him like that.

Sorry, bro.  I can't handle any more pity right now.

"Oh, I don't know.  Just the first thing that came to mind." His face turns bright red, or at least the little bit that isn't covered by his hobo beard does, as he looks down at his hands.