Chapter 15

Ben
February 14, 2005

*

Same day

*

She doesn't believe me.

Of course she doesn't. Why would she? She sees me as a womanizing man-whore, which isn't completely untrue. But she doesn't know the truth.

No one does.

I plan to keep it that way. It's not like the truth would make anything better.

Well, not until now. Not until her.

But this is a fake relationship, so there's no need to come clean.

She's not with me because she wants to be, she's with me because I'm an end to a means. Shit, that isn't right. I'm a means to an end. There we go.

Thank god I didn't say that out loud. She would have had my balls for that slip up.

I will have to make her see that I am not the guy she thinks I am. I can show her, just to prove a point, of course.

She obviously doesn't want to be with me for real. She's made it very clear that this is fake.

"Okay, we got off track a bit. Let's see, one was me not dating. Two was us not liking each other. And three was what again?" We blew through the first two pretty easily, I'm fairly confident the last one won't be that hard either.

"We have barely even looked at each other in the past month, so why would we suddenly start dating now?" Since I met her, I could barely stop myself from staring at her. Guess she wasn't looking at me, though.

"Okay, well... for starters, that's completely untrue." At least on my part. "Besides, plenty of people start dating while barely knowing each other."

"What's untrue, exactly?" All of your little reasons.

"I definitely looked at you." Every second I was near you.

"Okay, I didn't mean literally. I just mean, we haven't talked. We could barely stand to be in the same room together. So what changed?" She sounds annoyed. Shit.

"Well... You know... maybe the reason we couldn't stand to be in the same room together is because of our strong desire to be together, but we thought we couldn't be, so we avoided each other." Oh shoot. I didn't mean to be quite that honest.

"Okay, maybe for me, but no one is going to believe that for you." If only she knew...

"Sure they will. The guys teased me constantly for staring at you, so they will totally believe I was just pining after you." I immediately regret the words as soon as I say them. She's not going to believe me anyway and I sound like a total pussy.

I wait for her retort, but I hear nothing but a sharp intake of breath.

I feel her nose brush against mine. She must have leaned forward accidentally...

But then her lips meet mine.

The kiss is soft and delicate, just like her. It's sweet and completely her. It causes something to stir within my chest.

It makes me want more. And not just sex. I want more of everything.

Oh, so much more.

Too bad this isn't real. She doesn't really want to be with me.