Chapter 38

Kat
May 21, 2005

*

Same day

*

Why is Samantha here?

I guess he was pretending to hate her but as soon as I was out of the picture he ran right back to her.

I knew it was all pretend, so why does it still hurt to see him with her?

I can't believe I reacted that way.

I'm not that girl.
I'm not impulsive.
I'm not irrational.

I don't yell at guys in public.

As I make my way back to my friends, I realize my seat is taken.  Of course the only open one is by Johnny. 

Could this day get any worse?

He smiles at me when I sit down, draping his arm over my chair.  I'm not falling for that.  I lean forward, eyeing Vanessa.  Please look this way.

She catches my eye and a look of sympathy crosses her face.  Crap.  Did everyone see that?

Just great.  I'm back to being pitied. 

My stupid fake ex-boyfriend is making my life worse than it was before.

Johnny leans forward, drawing my attention to his stupid face. "So, do you want to exchange numbers?" 

"I don't have my phone.  Sorry."  I really don't want him to have my number. 

"But I thought you went to your car to get it?"  Crap.  He's right.  I just had to show it to everyone, didn't I?

"Oh yeah..."  I look around for my stuff.  "Hey, Ness, can I get my purse?"

She pulls it out from under her chair and passes it to me without a word.  She is looking awfully smug though.

I dig through it, but there's no sign of it.  I look down the row, hoping I it's on the ground.  "Hey, does anyone see my phone?  I think I dropped it."

Everyone looks around, but all I hear is "No".

Crap.
Crap.
Crap!

It was in the jacket.
The jacket I just threw at Ben.

Crap.

I need to get it back before he realizes it's in there.  He will probably think it's some pathetic excuse to talk to him. 

He can't find it. 

"So, why don't you just give me your number? And I will text you so you have mine, when you find it."  He's holding his phone, ready to type.

"Uh..."  Hesitating isn't going to make him stop.  How can I tell him no without hurting his feelings?

Vanessa reaches for his phone.  "Here, let me help you out."  She types what I assume is my number and hands it back to him.

Can I kill her now?  Is it wrong I wish she would start drinking again and leave me alone?

Yes, that's terrible.  She almost died.  She needed to quit.  I just wish she would leave me alone.  Maybe she just needs to get back together with Nate.

Stupid Johnny smiles, thanking my betrayer.  I hate them both.

During the entire ceremony, I ignore everyone around me, even Johnny who tries to make funny comments.  Well, at least he finds them funny.  Not sure about anyone else.  Even Ness speed fake laughing at some point.