Chapter Twenty-Nine

I rub my eyes as I try to open them. They were so sore and the light in the room wasn't helping the situation. I look up and around, noticing Derek wasn't in sight. I grab his pillow, rubbing my head against the softness, breathing in his scent. It is so strong and sends shivers down my spine. I lie back down staring at the ceiling. I place the pillow under my head for more support. My thumbs run over the material of the sheets. I sit up watching as he walks inside, carrying a bag of items.

"I just had to run out and grab a few things. I want to show you something today" He says to me as he places the stuff on the desk.

"What is it?" I ask.

"You'll see" He replies as I stand to my feet, fixing my clothing. Five minutes pass and we were walking towards the car. I stare out the window, feeling his hand on my thigh. I begin to wonder where we are as things begin to feel unfamiliar. I thought we were going to the Preserve, but I soon realized we weren't when he turned off which took us down a dirt road. He stops the car and you're able to see a burnt down building, hiding behind trees. Without a word, he gets out of the car in which I follow suit. He wonders over to me, taking my hand in his, leading me towards the burnt down building. We stand out the front as I hear him sigh.

"This use to be my home" He comments.

"What happened to it?" I ask him curiously.

"The hunters burnt it down" Derek says, his voice low and dangerous.

"Who are the hunters? You guys have hunters?" I question feeling confused.

"Yeah, Scott's girlfriend Allison, her family are hunters. Her aunty, Kate, she was the one that burnt everything down. She killed my family" He explains so emotionless.

"How would she of been able to do that?" I mumble under my breath.

"She got through me. We dated when we were in high school and she got into my life and was able to manipulate me." he says.

"I'm so sorry" I frown.

"Don't be, I'm the one that risked my families lives." He mutters taking me inside the building. It's dark and smells like rat droppings mixed with moist, burnt wood.

"So do they still hunt us?" I ask him starting to worry.

"Well Kate moved away a few years ago but there is a possibility she could be back, especially because there are alphas about. But Argent is still someone to worry about. He isn't as bad as Kate but we still need to be careful" He explains.

"Speaking of the alphas, Darcy said something about them the other day and I just want to know, are they still after me? Have they left? What's going on?" I bombard him with questions, desperate for answers.

"No they haven't left. Yes, they are still after you but they haven't been able to get to you." He states.

"How come?"

"Darcy has been looking over you, same with Isaac"

"Oh" I whisper.

"They'll soon leave but in the meantime, you need to stay safe, understand?" He eyes me as I stand there, arms folded. I nod my head finally giving in.

"Good girl" He says kissing my forehead.

-------------------------------

Sorry for the short chapter, promise for a long one soon x