Thirty Four

2 am

In my dreams I could hear a blaring ringtone of a phone. I peeled my ears open and reached over Harry to grab my phone, not seeing who it was and answered.

"Hello?" My voice still heavily laced with sleep and eyes dropping tying to sleep again.

"Z-Zayn I need you. N-Niall's in the hospital, a-and it's bad-" adrenaline rushed through my body making me shoot up and already walking towards my closets to get clothes. I told Louis to text me what hospital they were in and called Harry's mom to come watch the kids for a while. I hated to since it was two in the morning but she agreed in a instant and was on her way. I shook Harry awake and told what was going on and he shot up like I did throwing on clothes.

As we getting shoes on we heard someone knock on the door, we exchanged a few looks and words and Harry an I were running out the house and to the car. Once in Harry slightly sped out the driveway and started to go over the speed limit.

"Harry if you get pulled over that mean it will take longer for us to get to Niall now slow down and take a left here." He nodded and slowed.

Time felt like it was going inhumanly slow, barely passing.

Once we got to the hospital we jumped out of the car and ran. We reached the front desk out of breath and panting.

"We're here" pant "for Louis and Niall" pant "Tomlinson."

"Room 365 second floor." He nurse gave us a strange yet sympathy look and we took off sprinting. As we got into a elevator and Harry paced back and further in the small space.

"What if we're to late? What if we get up the there and-" his fingers were knotted in his hair as he was breathing hard. I wrapped my arms around his waist in hope to calm him down but I was wrong.

"Zayn I can't think clearly! I feel-" he said pushing me off of him slightly. I glared at him ready to say something but the elevator binged and the doors opened. We see Louis sitting in a chair at the end of the hall and Harry just stood there as I sprinted towards my best friend.

"Louis!" He liked up and his face was red with dark circles and puffy eyes. He got up just as I got to him and I wrapped my arms around his neck pulling him into a hug. He tightly wrapped his arms around me as I did to him and we both stood there for a long time. We pulled away and I felt Harry walk up next to me pulling Louis into a bone crushing hug. I looked at the window going to Niall's room and I couldn't believe what I saw. As they were still hugging I walked quietly in the room and to Niall's bed side.

His cheeks look hollow, his skin with a grayish color, while his whole body look like he was the weight of a toddler. I grabbed his hand and let out at soft cry, I've never seen Niall like this. I've always seen him bright, full of light, not give a care in the world. He could make your gray day turn into a world of color just by his smile or voice.

I heard footsteps behind me and hands on my shoulders. I turn around and see Harry looking down at him with tears threatening to fall. I move aside and he takes my spot quickly and does the same thing I did just a moment ago. I walk out of the room with my hand on my mouth and let out pained sob as I sat in one of the chairs. I ran my hands through my hair and just sat there for an amount of time to try and imagine this not being real. Non of this even happened, Niall and Louis were living a healthy life, a cold here and there but noting major.

They were happy.

~*~

Later that day I woke up on Harry's lap with his arms around me protectively and Louis laying his head on Niall's bed. Niall was still out but he looked peaceful. I looked up at Harry seeing his cheeks still covered in dried tear tracks. I sighed and lied my head back on his chest hearing his steady heart beat. Whenever I couldn't sleep I always listen to his heart beat making me fall back into a heavy sleep.

~*~

We all sat outside as the doctor in Niall's room moved around checks vitals. I always thought it was a stupid rule that we had to leave the room while they did what they needed to do. Louis was sitting on the floor against the wall opposite to the door while Harry and I occupied the two chairs under the room window. Harry gripped my hand tightly but ran his thumb gently across my knuckles.

With us being right next to the window we could barely hear what was going on in the room. We heard the doctor barking commands and the faint sound of the EKG flatlining.

Harry and I exchanged looks and we looked at Louis was oblivious to what was going on. He gave us a look then he heard it. He shot up quicker than I could blink and barged in the room with Harry and I following. We saw the doctor using an AED trying to start Niall's heart again.

"I didn't get to say goodbye. Jacks h-he doesn't even k-know." Louis falling to the ground starting to bawl.

I saw the doctor give each other looks seeing that they were close to calling it. Louis ran towards Niall and cupped his face saying something to him. I bear hugged Harry and cried into his shoulder as he did the same.

But sometimes life just throws you a curve ball.

Just as the doctor were close to giving up we heard beeping come from Niall's EKG as his heart beat come back.

~*~

next few chapters will get better i hope... tell me what you think of this chapter :(