xiii

We had a family dinner after a long while. A mother's cooking will always be the best. I was just eating quietly when Soonyoung spoke.

"Hey, mom, did you know Miyoung got herself a boyfriend?", he said.

I coughed  my food out. I looked at mom. She had this bright look on her face while dad looks surprised. 

"Is that so?", Mom said, smiling. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"We just started a few days ago...", I answered.

"Who would've thought Miyoung went ahead of Soonyoung in getting a relationship?", dad said, laughing. "Level up, son."

Soonyoung just smiled at that. But I realized something else in that smile. He seemed... 

"Who is it?", Mom asked. 

"His name's Mingyu.", I answered. 

"Isn't that your friend, Soon?", Dad asked.

"Yeah.", he answered.

"Isn't he the tall one?", Mom said. "Oh my, you got the good looking one."

"How far have you gone?", Dad asked, winking at me. I think my face is turning red. Mom smacked his arm.

Mom and dad seemed happy for me, but I can't help but feel embarrassed about it. I tried to change the topic.

"By the way, mom, dad, when's the big day?"

"Ah, right.", Dad said, clearing his throat. "I know that it's a bit sudden but we decided to go with next week."

"What?", Soonyoung said. "Already?"

"It's not really 'already'. I mean, why not?"

"When next week?", I asked. 

"Next Sunday.", Mom answered.

"Well, we'll have to prepare by now."

"Yes, we should. Would you like to help pick a dress for your mom?"

"It would be my pleasure."

"How 'bout you, son?", Dad said. "Go with your dad on his bachelor's party?"

"I don't think I can drink.", Soonyoung awkwardly answered. "And you're not even a bachelor anymore!"

Dad chuckled. "Who cares if I'm a bachelor or not? You can drink. You're of legal age already."

After dinner, everyone went with their own stuff. The parents went to their room. Who knows what they'd be doing there. I was just using my laptop until someone knocked on the door and let their self in.

"Want to go out for ice cream?", he asked.

I closed my laptop and went with him to the convenience store. After getting ice cream, we sat on a bench at the nearby park. 

"What was your dad like?", he asked me.

"He was an ordinary man.", I answered. "Very kind. Loves his family." He just nodded. 

"What was your mom like?", I asked.

He smiled bitterly. "I actually don't know. All I know is she was gone when I was small."

"I hope both our parents are doing well up there.", I said, looking up at the night sky.

"Mom's not actually there.", He pointed at the sky. "She left us."

"I'm sorry."

He shook his head. "No need to be. I don't hate her. I just wish she saw me grow up."

"You grew up well, too."

"Yeah, who knew I'd be so handsome, talented, sm--"

"You're being arrogant just now."

He chuckled. "Who knew I'd be this great of a man."

I was about to say something against his arrogant remarks but then I realized he was actually holding back tears.  "Soonyoung."

"What?" I hugged him tightly. I think he seemed confused at first but he hugged me back. He hid his face on my shoulder.

"I thought she was coming back.", he said in a muffled voice. "I waited."

I felt my shirt turn wet from tears. I patted his back as he continues to cry. Seeing Soonyoung like this makes me feel bad. He's usually so cheerful and bright. A star that would never turn dull and continue to be bright., I remember he once said. Even if he says that, bright stars won't always be seen in the sky.