One - Waking up

Sara

I hear beeping, this incessant beeping that seems to be right in my ear. I try to open my eyes, but they feel heavy. Too heavy to control. My mind and my body don't seem to be connected. Where am I? I hear noises around me other then the beeping but I can't make them out. They sound... they sound like voices. Talking. 

Who's talking? Where am I? What's happening? Am I dreaming this nightmare? 

Then, all at once, I can function. My mind and body seem to find each other in a moment and I open my eyes. 

Chris

"Thank you." I smile at the kind cafeteria lady and go to the table where they decided to sit. I take the seat next to Darren and smile as he wraps his arm around my shoulder. I look at him, a worried look that I'm sure is mirrored on my face is present on his, but he smiles slightly at me in reassurance.

"She'll be fine Chris. Absolutely fine." He tells me, seeming to be trying to reassure himself more than me. 

I'm tired of this though. I'm tired of petty reasurrances that seem to be going no where. 

"What if she isn't going to be fine Darren? What if she never wakes up? What the hell are we supposed to do about that? I need my best friend, and I just can't do this anymore, I just.. I just can't.. I-" He interrupts me by pulling me to his chest, I bury my face in his shoulder and cry. Cry for my best friend, for our friendship that's been M.I.A. for three weeks, and for hope. Hope that seems to be getting dimmer and dimmer and I can't do anything about it. I can't help her. 

Lea

I sit across from them as Chris cries into Darren's shoulder. I haven't even cried yet. I can't bring myself to because I'm not letting myself lose the hope that I have. She'll come back to us. It's just a matter of time. I have to believe it. We all do, It's the only thing we have left. 

I sit up and reach across the table to take Chris' hand. "Hey." He looks up from Darren's shoulder and I see the look of pure agony on his face.

 "Darren's right. Enough of this pity party. Okay? She'll be fine. It's only been three weeks. She will be fine Chris."

He smiles greatfully, but I can tell he doesn't believe me. I think he lost his hope around week two. He's never been without her. Chris and Sara have been best friends since they took their first step. They're like siblings, only closer. If that even makes sense. They have this bond that I've never seen before. Not even Darren and I, who've known each other for about the same amount of time, are that close. 

Chris is having some serious issues. Best friend withdrawls. 

He looks at me now, his blue-green eyes glossy with tears. "Thanks Le-Le." I mock glare at him at his use of the stupid nickname they use against me, but I smile. I'm glad he's cheering up, if not only a little. 

Chris jumps suddenly when his phone rings. Darren chuckles and retracts his arm as Chris answers the phone. 

Chris

"Hello?" I answer without looking at the caller I.D. 

"Mr. Colfer? We have an update for you!" I instantly know who it is. The  annoying, over perky voice of the nurse telling me exactly. 

"What is it?" I ask, last time they called to say her blood pressure so I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be anything. 

"Well she's woken up sir, she's becoming fully alert as we speak and-" I'm up and out of my seat before she can finish the sentence. Hanging up my phone, I run down the hallway, and up the stairs to my best friend, leaving Darren and Lea calling after me. Their footsteps soon following.