Seven - Memories and Pain

Sara

"So we ended up flat out running to our car, just in time. There were about five hundred people running after us, it was so close!" 

I'm doubled over in laughter, clutching my sides. Lea has her head tilted back, laughing just as hard as I am, Darren and Chris can barely contain themselves. Nick is sitting by Lea, grinning. 

I sober a little, "I can't believe that! It's just crazy. So we basically live in a life or death situation, every day?" I ask, still chuckling. 

Lea can't seem to stop laughing. "Basically." 

Chris pats Lea's back and smiles at me. "So that's that story." 

We're all sitting in my hospital room, waiting for Dr. Fell to come in with my release papers. I'm getting out today. I'm so happy, I feel like I could cry. This hospital room may be nice, but I'm tired of looking at it. 

I smile at Lea as she calms down, and ask them, "So where are we going after I get out officially?" 

Darren raises his eyebrows. "I guess we never really thought about that did we." He looks at Chris, who shrugs. 

"We can go anywhere, Sara. We should probably go to our apartment though. So you can see it, and get used to it. Or try." Darren and Lea laugh, and Nick smiles. 

Lea looks at Nick. "You've been really quiet. Why?" 

He gives her a look. "No I haven't. I've talked." 

Darren chuckles. "No you haven't. Not once since we got to her room." 

Nick glares at Darren. 

I giggle, and Nick looks at me and smiles. 

Nick

Hearing her laugh is the best sound in the world. Especially if I'm the one making her laugh, or she's laughing at me, it doesn't matter. 

I've been quiet this whole time, because I've been focused on her. I feel like a creeper though, I'm just staring. I can't stop. I try to smile at the appropriate times so it doesn't seem like I'm in a bad mood, but it's hard. I just want to touch her. To hug her, to.. kiss her. I want to have her soft hair in my fingers again. 

As they've been laughing and playing back the memories, I have also. Only not the humorous ones. 

Sara and I weren't at a good point before she went into the hospital, and it's slowly killing me. She doesn't remember though. She doesn't remember how we were falling apart slowly. How we were close to ending everything. It was so hard. 

I hated that. I feel like a fucked up person, because I'm.. sort of happy she lost her memory. Is that sick? Is it sick that I'm glad that she doesn't remember it? Remember the day that changed both of our lives for the worst? The day that slowly started picking at our relationship. 

I've thought over and over again about this. What if.. we could just start over? We wouldn't have to relive our mistakes, and our tragedies. I wouldn't have to tell her what happened. She wouldn't remember the pain I had caused her. The pain. The horrible gut wrenching pain that seemed to only make things worse. 

She laughs again at something Darren says, and I smile. 

With every laugh, I feel happier. Like maybe... everything will be okay. 

If only I knew. 

Things were about to get really complicated, really fast.