Twenty Seven - Processing Info

"You were sixteen, Sara. Things were just starting for you, and  it was complicated. I wanted a child more than anything in the world and we got it arranged for a closed adoption. You wanted updates every few years but until she really wanted to know who her real parents were you guys wanted to stay out of her life." 

I nod my head and process all of this information that's she's just told me. 

I woke up about ten this morning and called Caren and we just decided to meet then. 

Instead of her house, we're at Starbucks. 

She's told me about Rain. She's three years old; amazingly smart, speaking words that are way advanced for her age. She showed me a picture of the little dark haired, bright blue eyed girl and tears immediately filled my eyes. 

"I told her about you and Nick. She's too smart. I mean look at me, I'm blonde and I have green eyes. My husband is a red head with brown eyes. She knew that she wasn't ours." She smiles, and it holds a hint of hurt. "She literally came in one day from daycare and just.. 'Mom, dad... who's my real mommy and daddy?'" 

She laughs quietly. "You could say it took us of guard."

She looks at me. "We didn't have the heart to lie to her. So we told her the truth. We said that we were her parents just as much as you two were though." She chuckles. "She likes that you guys are 'Movie Stars' as she calls you." She grins then, her eyes crinkling at the corners. 

I laugh lightly. "She sounds amazing." 

I tilt my head to the side, "So who came up with Rain?" 

She smiles. 

"You." 

My eyes widen. 

She nods. "Yep, you were adamant that that was to be her name. That's the only thing you requested other than getting updates every few years." 

I nod my head. "Okay." 

She takes my hands in hers. 

"She wants to meet you. She has every since I told her about you." 

I pull my hands away. "Woah, um.." 

She puts her hands up, smiling. "I know, I know. Not right now. I get it. This must be so overwhelming for you. I get it." 

I wring my hands, and look at her. "This is absolutely crazy. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I have a child. I can't seem to grasp it. I was just getting the hang of the fact that I basically woke up one morning and I was famous." 

She nods. "Yeah, I can't even imagine what you must be going through right now." 

I smile at her. "Thank you for being so understanding, really." 

She pats my hand and nods, smiling. I can see the underlaying sadness within her eyes. 

I raise my eyebrows. "So I do want to ask, most women in your position would be really defensive and overprotective in this situation and you don't seem like that. You're okay with the idea of Nick and I meeting her?" I ask, stuttering over his name slightly. 

She nods. "At first I wasn't. I was like any other woman would be naturally." She smiles. "But you two are her parents, and she is one very smart little girl. She wants to meet you very badly. She looks exactly like you Sara." 

I can't contain my sudden grin as I look at the little girl in the picture again. She does. 

Her smile fades suddenly though. "I just hope..." 

My eyes widen and I shake my head. "No, I won't take her away from you Caren. There is no way I would do that to you or her. No." I take her hands and smile reasurringly. A relieved look spreads across her face and she clutches my hands tighter in hers. "Thank you." 

"No thank you, for this, for everything. This was what I needed. I honestly don't know when I'll be able to meet her, I have to work out a lot of things with myself and... uhm Nick but..." She nods. 

"I understand." 

When I walk into my parents house around three in the afternoon they're sitting in the living room waiting for me. 

"How'd it go?" My mom asks, smiling. 

I sit down on the couch opposite them. "It went good. Really good." 

"Did you meet drizzle?" 

I stare, puzzled, at my father. "Drizzle?" 

My mom smacks my father. "Roy!" 

"Oh shit." 

I sit up, "You mean Rain?" 

They nod, my father wearing a guilty expression.

My mouth falls open. "You've been seeing her? You have a nickname for her?" I run my hands through my hair. 

I get up and walk to my room. 

Just when I thought there wouldn't be any surprises. 

Not only had my parents known about her, they had also been seeing her. They have a nickname for my child. 

My child. 

I sit on my bed with my head in my hands. I don't know if I can do this. Maybe I'm just overreacting about all of this. 

How could my friends and family keep this from me though? Yeah, I understand maybe a couple weeks to let me adjust to everything first, but it's been 4 months since I've woken up!

I lean back and put my head in my hands. I then make a decision to just face my problems. I can't avoid them forever. 

I walk out of my room and into the living room, my parents look up; apology written clear on their faces. I nod my head, "I get it. Sort of. I mean this was a huge thing to... keep from me, and I know you were just trying to protect me. I really wish you guys would have told me sooner about this though." I say, stumbling over my words. 

My mom nods her head and gets up to stand in front of me. "We know, sweetie. We're sorry, and so is Nick, and the rest of them. They, along with us, didn't want to say anything to you for fear that it would cause a lapse in your memory or worse..." She trails off and I don't push what 'worse' could possibly be, because I have a pretty good idea. 

"We thought we were doing the right thing, but we weren't. I'm so sorry honey." She smiles at me, and hugs me again, looking at me with tears in her eyes. 

I nod my head and look at my dad. He raises his hands. "Yeah, what your mom said." 

I scoff and walk off, toward the door, borrowing their keys. 

As I get into their car, I take a deep breath. 

Time to face them. 

---------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for this update taking SO LONG. And for those of you who are actually still reading this story, thank you. These past couple of weeks I've been recovering from surgery and I haven't really felt like writing. Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting. Please keep it up, it motivates me to write. 

And TLFY is almost done! Getting really close to the last chapter...