Chapter 5: Toughen Up

Chapter 5

"Have fun sweetheart," My mother said. I lean over the armrest and kissed my mother's cheek, generating a smile, like she always did. "Not to much fun though."

"I promise." I kiss her right cheek again and opens the door. "Bye — I love you."

"Love you too sweetie." My mom said. I waved goodbye as I exited the car with my backpack. I waited until my mom turned the corner, safely before heading onto my father's freshly, cut lawn.

My dad sported a wide grin as he leaned against the doorframe of his three bedroom house. He was wearing a white tank top with some black basketball shorts sipping on his bottle of water. He'd probably just came back from a jog or the gym. His green eyes locked with mine and then he opened his arms wide luring me into his chest. My backpack nearly slides off of my shoulder as he smacks my back aggressively. I flinch from the impact of his palms.

"My boy," My dad said still squeezing me tightly. My arms remained limp at my sides before I wrapped them around his body. He was squeezing the living daylights out of me. "Great seeing you."

"I-I yeah, you to." I said through gritted teeth. My arms wiggled to the side as he lifted me off the ground, smacking my back again more painful than before. I let out a breath of relief when he releases me.

"Cmon' I got a lot planned for us this weekend. We're going to the gym, gonna toss around the football, test drive a supercar, get you a haircut, box a bit," He punches my shoulder gently as he mentions boxing. "Play some baseball. Eh, what do you think son?"

"All of th–that in one weekend?"

"Yeah it'll be fun." Dad noted shoving me inside of his home.

His idea of fun was a lot different than what I thought was fun. In case he didn't notice I was bookish, quiet and in touch with my feelings. I pondered the deep questions of life. Sports, hunting and fast cars held no appeal.

"Fun," I muttered underneath my breath. "I actually have a ton of homework to finish dad."

"Homework? Homework? Ryker, seriously you can do your maths when you're with your mother. When you are with your old man we do manly things." He suggested taking my backpack from me his green eyes widened at the weight. "What the hell do you have in here? A bunch of magazines about sports car? Eh, eh." He nudges my arm as he says that.

"No - my novels I picked up from the library yesterday. I was hoping that I could stay in and read them here." I wondered grasping my backpack and setting it onto the couch smiling over at my dad.

As I aged most people said that they just knew I would look the spitting image of my father. Except unlike me, my father had sun kissed skin and I had my mother's fair complexion. His eyes were the green of fresh dew glinting in the sunlight, just like mine. He had a prominent jaw that curved gracefully, another thing I'd inherited from him. I even noticed the looks both women and men gave my dad when we were in public. He made them swoon at the sight of him no matter their sexual preferences. Then he would lean down and whisper into my ear: "Looking and feeling your best will get you far in life, son."