Chapter 40: House Party

Chapter 40

Today was Devyn and Ashton's birthday. Which implies that the surprise party was tonight.

"Have a good time mom." I mumbled wrapping my arms around her body and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"Will do. I'll be back Monday." She informed, smiling and adjusting her Coach handbag, I think my father bought her that, years ago. "Your father is a phone call away— if anything goes wrong, call him. I'm serious Ryker."

Nodding my head swiftly, "I know mom you have absolutely nothing to worry about."

Her piercing green eyes stared me over skeptically. I slanted my eyes looking elsewhere from my mother. She then started smiling and soon I began smiling as well. "Okay son, have a good day at school I'll see you Monday."

I nodded swiftly leaning down to place a kiss on my mother's rosy cheek. Then I lifted her suitcase into the trunk of our white truck and slammed the truck shut before skipping back onto our porch. Digging, my hands in my Khaki jean pockets I dismissively waved as she sped off. Turning on my heel, I sauntered back inside our residence locking the door behind me.

Operation throw a huge party for your girlfriend without your parents permission shall now begin.

****

Entering school that morning with Noah I noticed a handful of people were glancing in my direction with either a smile or confusion. Noah darted his eyes left and then right, before whispering over to me.

"I told you Casper was handing out those flyers yesterday." Noah muttered, "I can't believe you are throwing a party behind your parents back. I — I mean, so much could wrong."

"... or right? Let's not think of the negatives here Noah. I'm regretting this party as it already is." I admitted swallowing my spit thinking of all the repercussions.

"Ryker Harley?" A distinct, soft, female voice wondered from somewhere behind me.

Narrowing my eyes over my shoulder I examined her. She had silky brown hair that graced her hips, with a toothy white smile Crest campaign would kill to promote.

"This is he?" Noah blurted with a smirk on his face.

"Your Ryker?" She bewildered wiping the smile off of her face as her facial expression morphed into one of disappointment. "I–I thought you'd be a little hotter considering you're throwing this huge birthday bash tonight."

That was rude.

"I'm actually Ryker. Th-this is my friend Noah. Is there something yo-you might need?" I asked awkwardly, clutching onto my backpack.

"That's more like it. I'm Sheryl I just wanted to let you know if you need anything, I mean, anything, call me." Sheryl responded elongating her arm with a sheet of paper in her hands.