Epilogue

Epilogue

Music fills the air without effort, the sound rushing in and around me in the room. The lyrics swim through my cerebral cortex like hypnagogia, the notes relaxing me, enabling the song to fulfill my ears. It flows through my veins and swirls in my head, it forced my fingers to drum and my feet to tap. Reaching over slightly, I turned the volume up, letting the lyrics hijack my brain.

Can you name something that always manages to wake you up on Monday mornings? Can you name something that can change a persons mood so instantly? No? Well I can... music.

Not just any music but Noah Gerhart's new hit single, Unstoppable.

My good companion Noah went on to become a celebrity, as expected. Being proud of him was an understatement. He's achieved immensely, since becoming one of the world's upcoming artist I've noticed a few things about Noah.

The weight has lifted from his shoulders as if an overly large child had just leapt off after a satisfying piggy back ride. He walked taller. His stride was lighter, more carefree.

As the song fades out the radio host begins talking about some meaningless celebrity, I shut off the stereo and returns my undivided attention to my office. Leaning back in my office chair, I scanned the room noticing the portraits hanging loosely on the wall.

"I should probably fix that," I whispered running my fingers through my tresses.

Glancing at the photograph I smiled briefly. The portrait was shot by Jared Wilshire. Jared, my good pal, went on to become one of the hottest photographers in California. He's known for capturing astonishing photos of models. He's captured a bunch of portraits around my home as well.

Suddenly the phone rang ear piercingly. Reaching for the phone, I answered almost immediately.

"Ry," My dad whispered.

I smiled. "Hey Dad what's up?"

"Harley's Co is now going to be located in New York, Florida and Texas." He chimed. "Also, I saw you on the billboard downtown, yesterday. I made sure to tell everyone that that was my kid."

"That's amazing Dad." I whispered. "I'm not a kid anymore, I'm twenty two."

"You'll always be my kid though." He started through muffled laughter. "Your mother says hello."

"Tell mom I said hello and also that I need her help with the gardening." I admitted proudly.

"I'll make sure to tell her, son. Look, I'll call you later, your mom is nagging at me. I love you."

Before I could respond my father hung up the phone. I smiled at my parents happiness. Shortly after my high school graduation, my mother and father, rekindled their relationship. My dad has trust issues still with my mom but they're working on it.

Crossing my right leg over my left I leaned back in my chair observing my office once more. Silence engulfing me substantially, I reached for my book on "The Journey of Finding The Cure For Cancer." and "Successful Tips on How To Become Rich." I noticed myself smiling happily on both covers, as Jared Wilshire snapped my photoshoot for my book.

Finding the cure for cancer wasn't the easiest thing ever. It took hard work and dedication. After Oakwood high, I instantly knew what I aspired to be. A scientist and an author. My father scowled me for not going to University right after high school. Ultimately, Emily Harley, supported my decision and soon after Garrett did as well.

Spending a year backpacking around the country for specific leaves and constructing compact research upon cancer, I'd finally found the cure. I wasn't on the hunt for a silver bullet against all cancers. Quite the opposite. The more scientist, such as myself, got to know each type of cancer inside and out, the greater chance I found out ways to tackle these diseases so that more people could survive.

My girlfriend's father being one of those survivors, Carlos Sanchez.

*****

The doorbell sounded throughout my home. Unwrapping my arm around my girlfriend Belle, I slowly and reluctantly uncovered my face. I blinked, closed my eyes and blinked once more. Streaks of the moonlight penetrated the window. I sit up, drag my feet off the bed and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretched my arms about my head and yawn.

Gazing at the clock, I noticed it was only five in the morning. Who could be ringing my doorbell this early in the morning? I watched my legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet. Before pulling myself out of bed and heading down the stairs. Staring out of the peephole, I noticed no one standing there.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I swing the door opened widely and words left me instantly. A woman with a black hoodie on stepped from the shadows stealing my breath and heat from my skin.

Seeing her was like a time machine. One glance and I was back in my teen years with my life stretched before me, all the decisions that lay between my present self and my past self were unmapped, anything was possible. How impossible it seemed that all those day to day decisions would take me across these five years to where I'm at.

Devyn pushed my book into my chest, "Dr. Harley could I please have your autograph?"

Though her voice was the same, had I seen her first I would have denied it was her. Seconds pass, my brain taking her in, struggling to comprehend that she isn't a figment of my imagination. My brain can't formulate a thought, at least not one based in any language.

I couldn't will my lips to move. As if stuck underwater, everything was slow and warbled as she smiled. My mind was blank and my eyes wide as I stared at her in horror. Her eyes desperately searched mine... waiting. I had to say something, anything. I searched my mind for something reasonable to say.

"De-Devyn," I mumbled.

Every muscle in my body just froze before a grin crept onto Devyn's face, it soon stretched from one side to the other showing every single tooth.

"Babe," A panicky voice screamed behind me. "... my water just broke."

THE END

Sorry for this long awaited Epilogue. I haven't been really into writing anymore. But since finishing this book hopefully I can get back into writing. Thank you for everyone who has shown me love and loved my characters. Sorry it's so short but I hope you enjoyed it and I have you plenty of room to make your own ending for GBR. Stay tuned for the next part in the book. :) -Jayla

QOTC: What do you think will happen in Dr. Ryker Harley's chaotic love life? It's up for you to decide that.