Chapter 23: Beauty and the Beast

Chapter 23

We arrived in my room after tip-toeing through the hallway, giggling at each other as we stumbled in the dark and tried not to trip over each other's feet.

And after shushing each other for the hundredth time, I shut my bedroom door quietly, flicking on the light switch. We had to break apart hands then, as I walked over to the other side of the room, grabbing blankets and laying them beside my bed.

"Let me get you something to w-wear," I started heading to my closet and grabbing a random shirt and sweatpants. I pulled my hoodie off of my body and tossed it carelessly into my closet. "Here you go." I whispered tossing her the pieces of clothing.

"Uh, thanks." She chimed.

Devyn caught them with ease and began changing. I turned around and entered my bathroom. I splashed water onto my face and stood upright. I can't believe I witnessed Devyn crying. She rarely shows emotions like that. I don't think anyone has seen Devyn break down like I had. I exited the bathroom the moment Devyn pulled those, black sweatpants up. If I had left seconds before I probably would have seen her panties. Not that I wanted too...

Afterwards she sat in the middle of my bed – her knees digging into my sheets – and pulled her brown locks into a ponytail. She looked like a model sitting there. I turned off the light switch, the moonlight providing a meager path for me to head over to my pallet on the floor.

But as I began to lay down Devyn said, "What're you doing?"

"What do you mean?" I asked sitting upward.

"I mean, why are you down there. This is after all your bed." She asked and I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

"Devyn." I paused.

"No, no I get it." She responded but I caught something in her tone.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"I-I just thou-thought you were going to sleep up here with me," She replied stuttering, which took me by surprise. Devyn never stumbled over her words. She looked at me from up on the bed. Her brown eyes were brighter than ever, even in the moonlight.

"Well, I didn't want to make you, erm, uncomfortable—"

"Oh Ryker, what a gentleman." She said grinning and then motioning for me to get up. "Come up here, you dork."

"Hey, that's deeply offensive." I told her laughing as I pushed myself off the ground and slowly made my way to my bed.