Chapter 14: She Was Just Catfishing You Bro

Chapter 14

"Goodbye Garrett... Ryker." Devyn said waving and entering her vehicle. It definitely looked better than before.

"Wow. That girl's a complete sweetheart," My dad gathered, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulling me into his chest as he waved after Devyn. "Like, son, you need to get with her before someone else does."

"Dad, it's not like that, with Devyn." I assured him staring off and into the street.

"It's not. Then what is it like?" He wondered unfolding his arm from my shoulders and stepping aside more to face me. "Boy — you look exactly like me."

"I know," I muttered. "But, she has like, a lot of guys-"

"That's alright. Competition is great." He started whacking me across the shoulder and giggling.

"No I don't think she even likes guys like me. All of her guy friends are, the opposite of me." I mentioned stuffing my hands in my sweatpants pockets.

"Because son girls will not respond to you trying to bond with them and have things in common with them like reading. The further away from their femininity you are the more they will be attracted to you." Dad insulted before strutting off into his home.

I suppose he was right. But, Devyn wasn't into reading books. He didn't have to know that he probably thinks Devyn's the perfect tomboy girl to whip his little, geeky, son out of his dorky habits. Little did Garrett Knox Harley know, that wasn't ever gonna change.

For the remainder of Saturday morning, dad mainly focused solely on his business. Sometimes we had weekends like this – where he'll forget I existed – and go on about his day like he normally would. I never argued it because I had plenty of homework to do, my teachers always decided to give me a crapload of work, the week I was visiting my dad. So as I was finishing up a few History questions pertaining to Economics, Noah decides to shoot me a text.

Hey man there's a county fair today wanna go? It starts at four.

I've never been to a fair before. I suppose it was like a carnival or something.

Nah, cant, at my dads. Sorry man.

I hated this. You know when you want to hang out with your mates but you're at your dad's house and it's nearly impossible. I always felt as if Jay and Noah were teasing me when they asked me to go somewhere when I'm over my father's house. Then I remind myself that it's not their duty to remember when I have to switch houses like a madman.

That blows. Well, Jared and I are going and Belle said she's bringing some friends along. She asked about you.

My heart does somersaults.

She's going?

Noah never texts back after that. I'm kind of glad he didn't otherwise I'll start feeling horrible for being with my dad. Although, Belle and I rarely talked unless Mathletes was involved and the occasional run-ins, in the hallway, I still had a massive crush on her. Fairly, who in their right mind talks to their crush. Guess — I was pretty lucky on some level.