Chapter 22: A Step In Her Past

Chapter 22

I stopped stretching and began sniffing the air like an alert rodent. The recognizable smell of breakfast fulfilled my nostrils. For a confused few seconds, I was thrown back into childhood.

Was my dad actually cooking breakfast?

Dragging myself out of bed I strolled to the bathroom proceeding to do my daily routine. Brushing my teeth, washing my face, hands and urinating. Once finished I yawned and exited the bathroom heading for the kitchen.

If anyone's wondering yes, yes Noah was fine. After Ashton had dramatically dove into the pool for Noah, he'd carried him out. Jay and I immediately ran to his side. Noah had been drowning and if it weren't for Ashton we would have probably lost him. Not to mention Noah had drank so much last night that I'm for sure he had a raging headache right about now.

"Dad?" I shouted creeping down the stairs. I narrowed my eyes over my shoulders staring around the living-room. Empty. I gradually creeped into the kitchen and gasped.

Instead of seeing my dad I noticed a woman with damp hair, slaving over the stove. She was sporting one of my dads football jerseys, Falcons, to be exact. She reached her tanned arms up into the cabinet, reaching for some seasoning. Her head bobbed as she hummed a familiar tune. Who the heck was she? I swallowed my spit and coughed underneath my breath. The woman spun around with wide eyes.

"Uh... h-hi you must be Ryker?" The woman said pulling her jersey down some more, "I'm Veronica call me Ronnie."

She wiped her hands on a Bounty paper towel and scrunched up the towel setting it on the counter before extending her arm. I glanced at her hand and brought mine to entwine with hers. Ronnie smiled and chewed on her bottom lip.

"Garrett said you were handsome but damn I wasn't expecting a mini him," Ronnie started tucking her wet curls behind her ear. "Anyways, did you want breakfast? I cooked eggs, turkey bacon, made smoothies as well."

Oh yeah I forgot Ronnie the nutritionist.

"Where's my dad?" I wondered. "And I'll take everything." Hopefully the food tasted as delicious as it smelled.

"He just ran to the store for something he should be back any minute now." Veronica stuttered and grabbed three plates out of the cabinet.

With wide-eyes I watched her every move. Ronnie had honey brown eyes, olive skin and a very soft voice. Her teeth were aligned perfectly, not to mention how blindingly clear they were and the dimples that sunk deep in her cheeks as she smiled. I wonder if Ronnie was mixed with anything. She looked really exotic. 

Ronnie began scooping out portions of steamed white eggs. Those were healthier than the original yellow eggs. They all tasted the same to me, though. I never had turkey bacon before so this should be interesting. Just as my stomach growled the door opened and in walked my father with two grocery bags in his hands.