Chapter 19: Trouble In Paradise

cute graphic by: @Autumn_May

Chapter 19

"Okay class you know the drill pair up with your partners," Mrs. Taylor announced, the next day after my embarrassing encounter with Belle. I narrowed my eyes over at Devyn who was scrolling through her text messages oblivious to her surroundings. I stood upward, collected our data and objects needed for the lab and headed towards our assigned lab station.

Devyn would come over when she felt like it.

As promised ten minutes later Devyn sat in the stool beside me.

"Hey there." She said with a smirk.

"Hello," I muttered pouring the water in the glass at the halfway mark and emptying the rest of the soil into the water.

"You look like you got this under control." Devyn added sliding her eyes over me inspecting the soil and water. "Woah — what the shit? What's happening to the water?"

"Well, the soil acts as a sponge to take up and retain water. That's called infiltration, and the downward movement of water within the soil is called percolation, permeability or hydraulic conductivity. Pore space in the soil is the conduit that allows water to infiltrate and percolate." I explained proudly surprised she was suddenly taking an interest in Chem.

"Could you put that in simpler terms?"

"Basically the soil is soaking up the water. What we are trying to figure out is what soil drains water faster: clay, sand or humus? How soil and color reacts with water together, separate, how they differ and how it's similar. Also if the water drained through all the soils? In which cup of soil did the water drain the fastest? Was there any water left on top of the soil? Etc."

"Oh," Devyn announced examining what I'm doing. "Good luck with that."

She could at least write down the data or better yet conduct the experiment herself while I write the information down. . . it would make things a lot easier and quicker. I'm not going to complain though because I like working independent anyways.

"So you and Belle? How'd everything go?" She wondered.

Glancing from my notebook I gazed over at Devyn darting my eyes to the left and back at her, "I asked her out, kind of, and got her number."

"So you asked her out and got her number? That's awesome. What's the problem?" She added reaching for the glass of water with soil buried in it and stepped out of her seat. She leaned down coming eye to eye with the experiment.

How do I tell her I've never been on a date before? Would she laugh at me? I should just come out with it. If I want to win over Belle might as well be true to the person helping me.

"If you must know I've nev-never been on an actual d..date before." I quietly peeped coughing underneath my breath.

"Okay we need a plan. You want this date to end with you guys making out. You need to think ahead. Okay what restaurant do you want to take her?" She replied jumping up and pushing the glass back to me.