Chapter 39: Those Three Words

Chapter 39

"Ryker can you please sit down for a moment?" My mom whispered the moment I sauntered into the kitchen.

"Sure, is everything alright?" I wondered.

"Yeah everything's peachy," She muttered with a soft smile. "... how do you feel about being home alone?"

"I've been home alone plenty of times mom." I assured her running my fingers through my hair nervously. This must be the moment where she tells me she's leaving town for a few days.

"Yes but this time is slightly different. I was promoted – as you know – which means, I'll be leaving town for a couple of days for training." She happily admitted. "If you don't feel comfortable staying home alone I won't go."

Although, I didn't necessarily feel secure being without my mom in the house I decided on not telling her that.

"No mom this is an incredible opportunity and you have been talking about this for years." I confessed. "I would hate to be the one to stop you from achieving your dreams."

Tears sparked in my mother's green eyes and she pulled me into a considerable squeeze tightly. I wrapped my frail arms around her tiny frame and pulled her into my chest securely. My mom sniffled against my crimped blue math shirt.

"Thank you, Ryker." She muttered extracting herself from my body and stepping backwards. Using the back of her hand, she wiped away her tears, and smiled beautifully. "I know that I can trust you to not bring any girls over."

Swallowing my spit I nodded and nonchalantly responded, "Yep, there will be no girls here."

"I'll hold you to that. I'm going to call James and tell him." She squealed turning on her heel and heading upstairs.

I know I just completely lied through my teeth. But, what exactly was I suppose to do. Aces of Spades has already declared my house for Devyn's surprise party. I just hoped my mom just don't find out about me sneaking behind her back and throwing a house party without her permission. Even with her permission, she'd still say no. As long as word doesn't get out that Ryker Harley threw Devyn Foster and Ashton Sanders birthday party, then we'll be good.

God, I anticipate that the truth doesn't get out.

                                                                       ****

Peyton sauntered up to me with a panicky expression on her face.

"Is everything alright?" I wondered with wide eyes.