Chapter 27: Have You Seen Peyton?

Chapter 27

I stiffen in surprise the moment Devyn's soft lips meet mine.

Devyn Foster is kissing me. Devyn, the bad girl whose car I crashed into a tree. Her lips are on mine with a soft but ardent urgency, her hands tugged on the strands of my hair. I can't think properly, my head is swirling with confusion. I squeeze my eyelids shut and unconsciously stepped towards her, my lips finally bursting into action and moving in unison with hers.

My arms automatically settled on her hips drawing her closer and that was enough to accelerate my heart to an almost deafening rate. This is actually happening. I'm kissing Devyn freaking Foster. Our lips are alive with mutual enthusiasm, and every single one of my hairs is standing on end despite the humidity. I feel faint and delirious, my provenance of pressure as our lips engross tightly together. Glee pumped down my bloodstream and all I can hear is my sub-machine gun heartbeat.

The time comes when we have to break away for oxygen, and my eyes flew open as our lips lose their contact, leaving us panting. The kiss wasn't that long, but it left me breathless in the same way that a full on make-out did in movies. I curiously glance down at Devyn, and she's staring at me with wide eyes — was that a good thing?

Devyn released a short breath, and her scent fans over my face. With tingling red lips, I crack a sly smile. It doesn't take Devyn long to return it. Unable to restrain myself, I blush, and who can really blame me?

"I-I-I'm sorry," She let out a short breathy laugh.

"Oh no I.... it's okay... I.. uh," I croaked fidgeting with my flour-coated hands.

"You what? That, that, was uh.. practice." She assured me smirking.

"Sorry, practice f-for?" I wondered my furrowing my eyebrows.

"That was practice. For the plan. That was a real kiss."

"I-I thought we already, like, kissed." I said still breathing heavy.

"Yeah but it was only a peck. Look, you did great and I'm sure Belle will be amazed when she finally does decide to kiss you." Devyn ushered stepping backward.

Just practice. All apart of the plan. Her words cut deep. Apart of me didn't want that to be practice. It definitely didn't feel like practice. I can't be the only who felt that.

"We should probably go check the food." Devyn mumbled, stepping around me.

I stand there embarrassed because I just poured my feelings out to Devyn, a girl who seemed to always want to kill me. I haven't cried in years... so this feeling was unnatural. Especially, since I cried in front of a girl. That's even worse. However, Devyn seemed understanding and didn't judge me for wailing like a baby. I sighed.

My mom and I had gotten into another argument earlier today. The school had called and told her that I was marked absent in two or more classes. I told her the truth because what's lying going to solve. She blamed me 'acting out of line' on my father dating Ronnie, and her dating James.