Chapter 18: Just Do It

Chapter 18

"Devyn? Devyn... Devyn!" I said snapping my fingers in front of her face.

Devyn snapped back to reality, blinking and swallowing hard. She glanced around taking in her surroundings and I followed her gaze. She was seriously out of it. Playing on her television screen was a random episode of The Vampire Diaries I've already seen it though, but it was on a very low volume almost mute.

Slowly, I turned my attention back to Devyn and sweetly smiled. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Devyn said cheerfully but her so-called happiness didn't reach her eyes. "Where were we?"

"I... was just starting to tell you about Belle. I think if you knew more about her it'll help with the whole, uh, -" I trailed off leaving her to remember the deal we'd made a couple of days back.

Devyn breathed out heavily and swiped her rosy tongue against her bottom lip and nodded. She rested her head on her bed and gazed back into my eyes. Devyn and I were currently sitting on the floor against her bed — her back was relaxed on the end of her bed as her long legs stretched out. I, too, relaxed my back against the end of her bed as I sat crisscrossed with our Chemistry book's opened in front of me.

"Don't be nervous," Devyn bluntly said slipping her fingers through mine and surprising I grinned and beamed out her hand. I pushed the unfamiliar shivers and the sparks that arose the moment her hand connected with mine. "Okay tell me about her."

I sighed deeply.

"Isabelle Sanchez, Belle, is what she'd like us to call her," I hurriedly corrected still feeling somewhat uncomfortable with Devyn's hand placed so gently against mine. "Belle is — resilient, relentlessly interested, she's mindful. She's different, she's independent and definitely not like any girl I've came across. He-her confidence intimidates me. She's, she's beautiful." I paused thinking of more words to describe her, the list could go on forever. Averting my eyes over I see Devyn not even paying attention. "Devyn? Deevyn.."

"Sorry," Devyn whispered.

"W..we don't have to do this ya know?" I assured her and her brown eyes widened and she stuck a strand of hair behind her ears.

"No – I heard you. It's just you seem to really... like, like her. Like really like her. Maybe it's time you just try to just ask her out."

My eyes widened, "I can't just as-ask her out. I can barely answer her questions in Mathletes."

"Mathletes?" Devyn questioned knitting her eyebrows together. "Is that that... nerd... dorky ... loser club you're in?"

Ouch.

"It's not a nerdy, loser club. Maybe dorky but I like it. And, so, so does Belle." I offensively snapped.

I just believed you shouldn't talk down on what others liked because you didn't necessarily understand or take a sudden interest in it. I hated when people knocked my nerdy tastes. Sure, being in this club might seem silly to Devyn but everyone has a unique interests that other people don't get. To belittle or make fun of my hobbies is belittling me. Her judgement sends the message that I'm not good enough the way I am. Instead, gives me free rein to express my quirkiness.