Chapter 38

"I suggest you leave the lady alone!" Elijah's calm voice demanded.

"Get lost!" The drunk guy hissed.

"Perhaps, you haven't heard well. The lady does not want your company. So, I would advise you to let her go." His voice was very calm, but it reminded me the calm before the storm.

"And who are you to tell me what to do? Besides, we are having great fun together, aren't we babe?" He said touching my cheek.

"Don't touch me!" I yelled.

"You have five seconds to leave the lady, before..."

"Before what, lover boy? We harmed your little princess?" He replied ironically. I could see now Elijah losing his temper.

"Two seconds." Not understanding the threat inhis voice, the jerk held me closer to him, laughing.

After that everything happened too fast. Elijah lunged at him and raised him from the ground, grabbing him by his throat.

"Listen to me and listen carefully. You won't approach this lady again, you won't even look at her. If I hear you or somebody else treats her like that ever again, I'll swear you won't live another day to see the sun rise. Am I clear?" The guy nodded terrified.

"Good. Let's go." He said grabbing my hand gently and pulling me with him.

I didn't protest. And although I didn't want to admit it, I liked the feeling of his hand touching mine. No one had touched me so gently and so carefully before.

Wake up Cassie! Remember who he is. Remember what he wants to do to Elena.

But, even though I knew he was a vampire and wanted to sacrifice my best friend, with her approval by the way, I couldn't hate him. I just couldn't.

"Thank you." I finally found the courage to tell him.

I owed him, despite my fear of what I felt about him, I should at least thank him. He stopped and turned around to face. His gorgeous brown eyes were looking at me affectively.

"You don't have to thank me. I'm a man of my word. I don't know if you are aware of my deal with Elena." She had called this morning to inform me.

"I do, but you are supposed to protect us from the supernatural, but-"

"I gave my word to protect you. Mainly from the supernatural, but I couldn't let this deadbeat harm you." I nodded.

He extended his hand, probably demanding something. I raised my eyebrow not understanding what he wanted.

"Your car keys, please."

"Why do you need them?"

"I'll drive you home."

"No, it's fine."

"I insist."

"You don't have to, besides I wanted to take a walk first to clear my mind."

"Ok, then, let's go."

"You are coming too?"

"Yes." He simply stated, like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"You are not obliged to, you know."

"My duty is to make sure you are safe. And there are some things I want to ask you." I shrugged, finally giving in.

"Fine, let's go get an ice cream and then we see." He smiled warmly at me, which made my heart beat a little faster. And I was sure he was able to hear it.