Chapter 129

Klaus was the new 'king' of New Orleans. And I was paying the price. I was forced to sit and watch a dinner with vampires. I wanted to vomit. At least I was not sitting along with them. I was very persistent on that. Instead, I was sitting far away on the top of a balustrade. Hayley was in a worst situation. She had to sit along with them around the table and hear to Klaus's speech. I was so bored. And I felt so strange being around so many vampires at the same time.

"Let us begin with a toast." He announced standing up.

Here we go. I thought rolling my eyes.

"To our shared gift, immortality." I wanted so much to vomit. "After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows to be diminished with time. But, as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine."

With that he made a gesture to some servants that were standing in the corner of the room. I had some suspicions of how they would be used, but now my suspicions proved to be correct as they moved and stood among the vampires, over their heads.

"Insatiable need. Exquisite pain."

With that the servants took out a knife from their pocket and started cutting their veins from both hands. After that they placed their hands over the soup plates that were in front of each vampire and let their blood flow. Hayley and I exchange disgusted looks.

"Our victories... And our defeats..."

Did anyone make sense?

"To my city, my home again. May blood never cease to flow."

"And the party never end." Marcel added. Oh, he was such a terrible liar. I knew he hated Klaus and that the loyalty he was offering to him was so phoney... I was surprised that even Klaus could not see it. Or he could, but chose to ignore it.

"To New Orleans!" They all said together raising their glasses. I rolled my eyes and continued playing with a knife I was holding.

"I understand some of you might have questions regarding the recent change in leadership. I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. Now my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel in fact took..." And I was wondering why he hadn't mentioned that already. "And built into this. A true community of vampires."

"And what about her? The vampire huntress?" Diego asked pointing at me. I was expecting that question. How can a vampire huntress live among vampires?

"Cassandra is part of my family. That is, she will not be hurt by anyone or anything. Not that I don't trust her abilities, on the contrary." Klaus replied looking at me. "She is also a prophetess and as she was expecting this question she told me to give you an answer."

"And what was that?" Diego continued.

"Her bark is worse than her bite." He said with a smile watching his reaction.

"And the wolf?" He continued next pointing at Hayley.

"If you had let me finish Diego, you would know that there is of course one further matter I would like to address. As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumour that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you I do not." In the mean time, Klaus had placed his hand on Hayley's shoulder to give emphasis to his words.

"Father of the year." Hayley commented ironically. Wrong move, girl... Insulting him in front of his 'followers'... Not very good idea.

Klaus said nothing in the beginning, but I could see he was annoyed by her comment. "Appears I will have to earn your trust. Very well. I will eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how can I sire any hybrids, if there are no more werewolves alive in the bayou to turn?" He said the last part looking at Hayley. I knew it. Don't insult Klaus in public. He gets pissed off and that's not a good thing.