Chapter 102

Cassie's P.O.V.

It was time. I was about to leave at any minute. Everything was ready and already loaded in the car. Rebekah didn't take it very well, but eventually she understood that it was the best solution. I hated though to see her that unhappy.

Flashback

I was wandering around the room nervously. I had texted Rebekah to come over. I was going to tell her my decision to leave. And I suspected that I shouldn't be expecting a good or at least a balanced reaction to that announcement. When the doorbell rang, I took a deep breath and walked to the door. Two minutes and thirty five seconds later, Rebekah was staring at me wide-eyed.

"You are what?" She almost yelled.

"I'm leaving Mystic Falls, Rebekah. For good, this time."

"So you will never come back?" She almost cut me off.

"Not very soon. No." I replied looking at her straight in the eye.

"Why are you doing this? Why are you leaving me too? First my mother, then my brother, now you! Why???" She cried.

My heart ached to see an Original vampire who was just a girl seeking love and affection. "I'm sorry, Rebekah! This is the only way! I can't live with your brother's ghost everywhere. I will go crazy eventually. Do you want that?"

"Of course, I don't! But, I don't want you to leave me!"

"Don't see it like that!" I said taking her hands in mine. "You will always be part of my life. As every person I love in this crapped town. You are my sister. I would never forget you." She cried and hugged me tightly.

"I'll so kill my brother for this." She whispered.

"Don't bother. Deep inside, I knew that this moment would come sooner or later. I just didn't expect it to be so soon, though." I said more to myself.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tonight."

"And where will you go?" She asked worryingly.

"Honestly... I don't know." I replied shrugging. "I just want to be away from here." I added.

"Be careful." She said hugging my tightly once more.

"I will. I promise." I said and hugged her tightly as well.

It was hard for Rebekah to leave me alone, but she eventually compromised, understanding my need to announce my decision to my loved ones, alone. Minutes later, I paced back and forth in my living room, reaching for the phone but then retreating back like a coward, all because I didn't know how to confess my plans. I didn't know how long I'd be gone nor where I was going but anywhere was better than here. My love and my soul left not but a few days go and he had taken me with him while my shell of a body remained here. My heart shattered every second and it was painful. My eyesight began to blur yet again, tears falling one by one.

I wanted to die to stop the pain from his departure. I couldn't stay in Mystic Falls. Hell, I couldn't stay in my own house! Every inch of my home was a constant reminder of him just like this small town where I was raised. Sniffling, I wiped at my eyes to rid of anymore tears.
"She has to know." I whispered to myself.

My Granny who has raised me since my parents died, was my only family and she deserved to know of my own departure. With one last sigh, I packed up my bravery and picked up the phone, dialling her number with my hand shaking. After about three rings, I heard her elderly sweet voice.

"Hello, honey! How are you?" She said excitedly.

"I'm fine, Granny. How about you?" I replied less enthusiastically. She didn't let this pass.