Chapter 49

"Wait! You must be kidding!" I exclaimed.

"Do you think I would be kidding about this stuff?" Elena sounded worried from the other line. I tightened my grip on the phone.

"No, but... I can't believe it. I mean, in only one night, the Martin witches are dead, Bonnie got her powers back, she knows how to kill Klaus, Katherine suddenly wants to help to keep you safe, Matt knows that Caroline is a vampire and Isobel, your biological mother, turned up on your doorstep."

"Yeah, it's difficult to believe it, even myself."

"I left and everything is falling apart."

"I'm glad you are not here."

"Excuse me?"

"I don't want Katherine or Isobel or John to know about you and what you can do."

"You have a point. Do you trust Isobel?"

"No, not at all."

"Me too. You have to keep an eye on her. She would betray her own flesh and blood to achieve her goals."

"I agree. But enough about me. How are things between you and Alexander???" She asked. I could see her playful grin, even though I was miles away.

"What do you mean, exactly?"

"What do I mean? I mean that he turned up out of the blue last night, he couldn't get his hands or eyes off you and within a couple of hours or minutes he persuaded you to follow him to a short trip to God knows where. So, is there something you want to tell me?" I looked at Alexander who was still sleeping in the bed. We had gone to a motel to get a rest and then we would start looking for an apartment. He was so sweet when he was sleeping. Like a baby. I smiled at this picture.

"No, nothing."

"So, there is nothing between you and him? Nothing at all???"

"Elena we are relatives."

"You are not so close relatives."

"Yes, but that doesn't change anything. He is like the older brother I never had."

"Yeah, right. But, to your concern, I think he doesn't feel this way for you. In case you haven't noticed." I didn't reply.
"You don't say anything." Elena noticed.

"Look, Elena I have some business to arrange so, I think we should hang up."

"Oh, you are avoiding the subject."

"Yes, I am and by the way I have indeed a busy day, so I'll call you later. Or you call me in case something important has occurred."

"Ok. Have fun..."

"Elena..." I mumbled angrily, but she had already hung up.

I looked at the clock. It was 9 a.m. Time for Alexander to wake up.

"Alexander..." I whispered in his ear, petting his hair. "Alexander..." I repeated.

"What???" He mumbled.

"Time to wake up..."

"Come on mom, I don't want to go to school..." He mumbled again. I could help it and burst into laughter. He opened his eyes abruptly. "Why are you laughing?" He asked me, seeing my face red and me holding my belly.

"Seriously??? School???" I asked between my laughter. He waited until I had stopped laughing.

"Have you finished?"

"I think so..."

"Why did you wake me up? It not even noon." I laughed.

"Why you would wake up at noon to go to school?"