Chapter 1

"Is this seat taken?" I asked, pulling the chair out quietly. Class had barely began, but the room was almost full. There were just two vacant seats left, and I was currently standing behind the closest.

The boy pushed his glasses back, glancing up at me momentarily, he froze before quietly whispering a small yes please. I frowned, but nodded all the same and walked to the other end of the class.

"Page 364 and 365, do exercises A to Z."

Groans.

Groans filled the class, circulating through the open room without end. I tried to stifle my laughter, though I was just as disappointed.

But there was one person who didn't seem to find fault with the exercise. The boy who'd been reserving a seat smiled to himself, trying but failing to suppress it.

I licked my lips lightly, concentrating on my work. After a few minutes, the sound of wood scraping against the ground had me raising my head to see the source of the obnoxious noise.

People rolled their eyes at him, others muttering nerd as he walked towards the front to hand in his work. He kept his head down, speaking quietly to the teacher and walking back to sit with a sigh.

I was sure that seat wasn't meant for anyone. I turned back to my work, answering a few and leaving the majority which I didn't understand.

This topic wasn't my thing, and I was usually great at the calculations. Lie, I was great at everything. But, calculus wasn't my strong point.

I decided to get some help with it, closing my exercise book and flipping through the pages of the textbook.

It appeared I was on the same page as the entire class, considering no one else had gone to submit.

"It's clear you're all struggling with this bit, so I'll leave it to you as an assignment. To be submitted in two days. Class dismissed."

I internally sighed, getting up and out of my seat.

"Hey, Ami."

I turned back, looking expectantly at Calvin.

"Thought maybe you'd like to meet up after school?" He smiled sweetly.

"I'm busy," I said,"Maybe some other day."

"Tomorrow?"

"Next year," I replied, turning again to go ask the teacher for help. I smiled as I heard him chuckle softly.

"It's a date, then."

I walked up to the teacher, seeing him go through the quiet boy's work.

"You'll have to keep it though, until everyone has turned theirs in."

He nodded stiffly, glancing up at me with wide eyes. But just as quickly as he looked, his eyes were back down.

"Sir, could you please explain this topic to me? I can't quite seem to grasp it."

This man never liked me, and I never liked him. Which was probably why I never got anything he said.

Don't hate your teachers. It makes understanding what they teach difficult, since you can barely hear them over the insults you're throwing at them in your mind.

"I'm busy with my wedding." He said, almost rolling his eyes. "Why do you think I let you off before the lesson ended?"

I rolled my eyes deeply, turning to leave. I heard quiet footsteps behind me, and something lit up in my mind.

"Hey," I called, making the boy stop short in his steps. His eyes remained glued to his feet, and his breathing seemed to quicken slightly.

When he didn't respond, I continued,"I'm sorry. I just couldn't help but notice you're great at calculus from all our lessons in the past, and I'm terrible." I paused, hoping he'd see where I was going with this.