Chapter 39 - Forever In My Heart

The truth is it hurt. It hurt a lot to be returning to reality. It hurt to return to civilization, where everything was everything but civil. Life was chaotic here, away from the cabins. It hurt to return to a world where my own blood was out to kill the only family I'd been left with when that same blood ripped my parents from me without a care.

I blinked my eyes out of oblivion as Harry drove mindlessly back to my so called home. It was now a place of fear to me. It was a great feeling to simply forget all that was worries to me and just let go with Harry, Calvin and Bianca. It was absolute perfection. But now, as my street came into view, my heart sunk a little lower than usual because this was far from my happy place now.

I didn't miss the black minivan parked opposite my house. It was impossible to. Chances were it belonged to some random person who just so happened to park his car there. But now, everything seemed to be a threat to me.

And rightfully so.

"Harry," I whispered as he parked a few houses away from my house. It appeared he had also taken notice of the car. My heart was all but beating out of my chest. Harry's hand reached over and squeezed mine as he gave me a reassuring look.

"Amelia, stay here. I'm going to make sure everything's okay. Don't come out until I come get you. Understand?"

I shook my head no. Of course I didn't understand. If the car belonged to who I thought it belonged to, there was no way I was letting Harry go in there alone. He seemed to be forgetting I could fight too.

"I'm coming with-"

"Amelia, stay." He instructed, making me feel like some sort of disobedient dog. My heart was plummeting out of my chest and I simply sunk lower in seat as a sign of defeat.

I watched his form as he moved in a slight jog to get to my house. His eyes warily surveyed the area before he went in.

Per my imagination, he was supposed to come right back out and tell me the coast was clear, except for Angela and Scott sucking faces on the couch. That everything was okay. And would I like something to eat because he'd been hearing my stomach growling the entire ride back.

But when two minutes passed, three, four minutes and 47 seconds. I couldn't handle it anymore. My chest was about to explode with the rate at which my heart was beating. Why had Harry kept so long? With this thought pestering my mind, I couldn't help but sprint to my house and push the front door open.

My heart cracked at the sight in front of me. The entire house had been turned upside down and Angela was sprawled out on the floor unconscious with blood leaking through her nose. The sounds of people shouting echoed throughout the room, but I couldn't hear any of it as my eyes soaked in the scene.

It was like everything was happening in slow motion. The punches they were throwing all over. Harry hit Drew square in the jaw, and it appeared he only fueled his anger a million times more. Drew's fist raised in a moment of extreme aggravation. Then, suddenly, all eyes in the room turned to me.

"Fuck, Amelia. Leave." Harry screamed. But my feet stayed planted to the ground. Of course I wasn't about to have the love of my life, my brother and his girlfriend get killed while I sat in a car and waited for it to be over.

"No, sweetheart, stay. Watch the show. You wouldn't want to miss the death of this imbecile." George growled in disgust as gripped Scott's collar tighter.

In a second, I was making a move towards them. But I stopped in an instant. Drew pointed a gun at Harry's head, finger placed on the trigger daringly, willing me to make a bad move. That was all it would take to have Harry's head blown off. The smirk on his face was sickening, and I raised my hands in surrender as I stood rooted to the ground.

"Now, now, little girl. You stay right there." Drew seethed at me, pressing the gun impossibly harder to Harry's head.

My heart was breaking every second this scene was unfolding before my eyes. Was this going to be the end of Scott? All over some stupid family business. They could have it for all I cared. If that's what meant I could go back to my simple easy life, perfectly fine by me.

I was drawn out of my thoughts by the increasing volume of George's voice as he argued with Scott. Tears were flowing out of my eyes like never before. I swear I couldn't control it even if I wanted to. In a rush of actions, I saw Scott throw a punch at George. He shook with rage. And then, I didn't miss the slightest nod George gave as he turned towards Drew. I read it perfectly. Almost too perfectly.

"No," Was all that I heard as I pushed Scott out of the way and felt the bullet go through me. I wasn't sure who had screamed. Part of me thought I had screamed, another part thought it was Harry. I thought it was Scott. And finally, I thought I'd heard Drew scream.

My body hit the cold floor in an instant. Drew hadn't missed his target. The bullet went inches away from my chest. Blood seeped from my shirt to the white tiles, onto Harry's hands as he held me in his arms, onto Scott's jeans as he pulled me into his lap. There was blood everywhere.

"Amelia, please stay with me." Harry whispered as tears rushed out of his eyes. "I know it's hard but don't give in to unconsciousness, Amelia, please don't close your eyes."

I tried to do what Harry was telling me. I tried desperately but I knew even Harry knew it was a lost cause. My blurry vision hardly took notice of Scott delivering punch after punch to Drew, screaming mindlessly at the boy whose eyes stayed locked with mine, silently screaming apologies.

I could hear sirens blaring in my ears. The noise was too loud for me to handle. It made me dizzier than I already was.

This really was the end.

I could feel my heartbeat slowing to nothing. Little by little, I was drawing closer to my inevitable death. It was all happening so fast but it felt like everything was in slow motion. I knew it hadn't been even two minutes since that bullet went through me when George and Drew were making a run for their freedom through the back as cops burst through the front door.

My vivid awareness of my surroundings was coming to a gradual end as my eyes started to close. I almost wanted them to. I didn't like seeing Scott so helpless and exasperated, and I sure as hell didn't enjoy seeing Harry's body shaking with tears.

I could see paramedics running towards me but I knew it was too late. My body had given up on me.

"Let Scott know I love him. This wasn't his fault." I wheezed out, watching Harry nod as he bit his lip. "Harry," I barely whispered, my body shaking with coughs,"I love you." My hand reached up to cup his cheek. "Always."

"Amelia, no." He screamed as another round of tears shook him. "Please," He whispered. "I love you,  Ami." I felt a hot kiss press to my cold forehead. "I promise. You'll always be in my heart. Forever, baby."

That was the last thing I heard. And a small smile made it's way onto my lips as my hand dropped to my side. And then, darkness engulfed me.