Chapter 34

My heart was beating out of my chest when the doorbell rang. I looked at Harry who turned to look at me from his spot at the edge of my bed.

"Scott, she's here." I screamed, knocking on his door. Today was Saturday, Mary was supposed to come over today.

Harry's lips pressed into a firm line. I kissed his cheek lightly, taking the steps two at a time and flinging the door open. I furrowed my brows when I saw her, and she broke into a smile, wrapping her arms around me.

I coughed awkwardly, unsurely wrapping my arms around the petite woman. She pulled away, eyes running over my face.

"Oh, you look just like Hannah. Scott," She screamed,"Come down here." It was weird how she spoke to Scott when he came down, as if they'd known each other.

She even walked to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water as if she owned the place. I eyed the woman heavily, and somehow I did see a resemblance. We seemed to have the same eyes, and similar plump lips.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Harry and Angela leave the house. My eyes narrowed at the sight of Angela's hand gripping his arm, but I shook the jealous thoughts away.

"How long have you two known each other?" I asked, my head cocked to the side.

"Oh, darling, I used to visit you two at the orphanage all the time. Until the moment when I was told to disappear. My, my, you've grown so much. How old are you, Amelia?"

I scratched the back of my neck,"I'm seventeen, turning eighteen in a month."

Her mouth formed an 'o', and she mumbled something to herself concerning the family business that I didn't quite catch.

"Aunt Mary?"

"Oh," She chuckled,"Just Mary. I'm only forty-three."

My eyes bulged out, and before I knew it, I was blurting out,"Wow, you're really old." My mouth fell open when I heard myself and I shrieked,"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, it just came out."

Mary chuckled, shaking her head at me and waving me off. "Don't worry, Scott has called me much worse." She smiled.

"Uhm, so what exactly is happening here? With these people chasing after my brother? And what's with the family business, please?" I asked as politely as possible, honestly not feeling the small talk.

"Your parents didn't die in a car accident," She said coldly,"That car in the videos, it was set to fire. The car was empty." I bit my lip, listening to her. "They were murdered- by your pathetic excuse of an uncle. He's your father's brother. George."  She shook her head, dabbing lightly at her eyes. And then, I noticed just how beautiful she really was.

"Why?" My voice cracked, coming out as barely a whisper.

"He wanted to take over the family business that your parents owned. A part of it was owned by his father, who handed it down to his younger brother. Should've come to him. But your grandfather wasn't sending his business down the drain by passing it on to an irresponsible drunkard, just in the name of tradition. He hated your father for that, so much. Also because-" She paused,"He was in love with Hannah." She sighed,"In his mind, if he didn't get to have her, no one would."

My brows scrunched up, and I nodded somewhat understandingly, although a million questions were swirling through my head. Why would you do something so cruel to your own blood? My eyes darted to Scott, and I wondered if I would ever be able to put a bullet through him simply in the name of money. I shuddered at the idea, impossible.

"Your parents-" She paused,"They knew what was inevitably going to happen. So they put measures in place to keep you safe. They put you up for adoption. Initially, Hannah wanted me to take you in but," She chuckled dryly,"George was onto me too. The three of us would've been killed in no time. Scott and I grew close since I started visiting you two at the orphanage, until you were five, Amelia. Your parents instructed me to give Scott the letter when he turned ten, and then to disappear. I'm very proud of him, surprised a ten year old could be so responsible."

I almost rolled my eyes at that. Scott, responsible? My ass. I wondered why he never told me about her. I mean, we left the orphanage a mere five years ago.

"Anyway, so they had this house built for you and left me in charge of it. Uhm," She looked up as if thinking of what else to say,"The family business in Scott's name. It's been closed down up until now. I was to make an appearance when the time for him to take over came, but George," She scowled,"He got to him before me. And now, he's after the business again. And Scott."

I let out a rugged breath, soaking it all in. This was wow. Too much too handle, that's what it was.

"But I mean, is it worth it though? His life is in danger. What happens if he gives up the family business?"

Mary shrugged as she bit her lip,"You could do that. It's your choice really. What happens, then? Your parents died in vane, is all."

I felt a pang in my chest. One that confused me deeply, considering I barely even knew my parents. Heck, I didn't even have proof that I had parents. Or so I thought.

"Oh, here." Mary sat up straighter, taking out a box from her bag. She took off the lid and handed it over to me, nodding towards it. I raised a brow, but took the box from her hands anyway.

And my heart broke.

I felt tears sting my eyes.

I bit my lip.

Pictures. Of a little girl, a boy and their parents. A tear ran down my face. It was me. A picture of my mother holding me up on her hip while I nuzzled my face into her neck broke my heart. It hurt. What did I do to deserve my parents being taken away from me? All for a company. It was an awful feeling that was new to me. Because I never really missed my parents, given that I didn't remember them. Sure, I thought about them. But their death never once affected me.

I clutched my chest in my hand, feeling my accelerating heartbeat as I sobbed. Picture after picture broke my heart. And only then did I realize how much it hurt to not have parents.

"Oh, honey."

I stood up, hands over my face as I sobbed uncontrollably. Before I knew it, I was pulled into familiar arms. The arms that I desperately needed. I felt Scott's hands massage my shoulders, and I pressed my face further into Harry's chest.

"It's okay, love. I'm here." I listened to Harry's soft voice, trying to calm myself down as picture after picture flashed through my mind. I imagined George stand before my parents, holding them at gunpoint. The tears just wouldn't stop. I wrapped my arms tighter around Harry's neck, wetting his shirt, but I couldn't care less.

"Don't cry, Amelia. Please don't cry."