Chapter 10

I'd picked up Harry on my way to school, seeing as he was walking which was quite unusual. We spoke a bit, and I turned when Harry stopped short in his answer, making no move whatsoever as he stopped breathing.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking out the window as I searched for anything that could put Harry and I in danger. "What is it?"

"This was a bad idea, Amelia. Everyone's going to stare at us and talk about us, and it's going to be terrible." He breathed deeply. I frowned at that, what was so bad about it?

"You don't want to be seen with me?" I asked, almost surprised, as I looked at him.

"N-no, Amelia. Of course not," He almost chuckled at that,"You should've just dropped me off a street away,"

"Why would I do that?"

"Because," Harry sighed,"People talk about me badly, if you hang out with me, they'll probably start to talk like that about you too."

"That's ridiculous, Harry." I rolled my eyes,"You and I both know that I've never exactly cared about rumors."

"But I do," He countered, looking down at me from his seat. I sighed, pushing my hands between his, and to my surprise, Harry wound our fingers together, releasing his tight grip and holding on once more.

"Harry, if you're not okay with it, you can go out first and I'll follow behind after a few minutes."

"Thank you," He said, making me frown because I didn't exactly expect him to take up my offer. Harry didn't wait for a reply, sneakily going out and falling into step with that girl who claimed she liked him. The whore, I thought with an eye roll. What pissed me off even more was how comfortable Harry seemed with her, even nudging his shoulder against hers with a small smile as they walked. And she just had to kiss him, on the cheek though.

I rolled my eyes, getting out of my car and walking into the school. I was glad I couldn't see them, but all the same, I was almost angry at Harry. I'd told him I was jealous, and he still went with her. Even if they were just walking. I didn't want to overreact, but I couldn't help it. This was all I never wanted, I wanted to stay away from love. I wanted to keep to myself with this issue of love, where I'd always end up in pain or in tears.

So, with the thought of the current pain in my chest in mind, I decided that Harry and I would keep it at friends. Because I certainly did not like the rate at which he was growing more and more on me.

When Harry saw me walking towards him, he grabbed his bag from the seat beside him and placed it on the floor beside his feet.

My heart dropped,"Harry, Bianca and I are working on something, so I'm gonna go sit with her," I said, almost questioningly.

"Oh," He whispered, brows furrowed as he looked away from me.

"Maybe Liam could sit with you?"

"He doesn't take this class,"

"What about Lewis?"

"It's Louis. And there's a reason I'm always sat here alone,"

I swallowed, nodding softly as I walked to the back where Bianca and I sat.

"Oh, finally had enough of the nerd? Don't wanna catch whatever he has?" She giggled.

I licked my lips,"Right, yeah." I chuckled humorlessly.

I glanced at Harry, and his head was down, his hands gently tugging on his hoodie. Was it necessary for me to not sit with him? It's not like anyone was asking me to do this, it was my choice. Why was I bothering myself?

Classes passed, and my eyes lingered at the empty seat beside Harry, wanting my feet to carry me there somehow. At least, he had one class with Liam. I said a quiet thank you to Liam in my head when he beat that girl to the seat beside Harry. I rolled my eyes when she smiled, waving at him anyway and making him blush.

That was my job.

Since when?

My subconscious mocked me.

I avoided Harry's questioning and curious gazes during lunch, talking to Bianca and ignoring every question about Harry.

"Oh, I get it. Is he good in bed?"

My eyes widened, and I smacked her arm.

"No," I whispered,"Wait, I mean, I don't know."

"Bingo,"

"Stop, we don't do that stuff."

"It must be good though, sex with a nerd. Mm, mm, mm." She hummed in delight. My brows furrowed, and I clenched my jaw tightly.

"Am- Amelia?"

I turned when I heard Harry's soft voice, gulping and taking a step or two back.

"Yeah?"

"Are we still u-up for t-tutoring?" He shook his head at his stammering, sighing softly. Why was he stammering so much, it was just me.

"Yeah, yeah we are. Why?"

"W-well you've been a-avoiding me all d-day, so I just thought I d-did something wrong and-" He stopped himself from talking anymore, taking in a deep breath.

"Harry, are you okay?"

"Yeah," He sighed.

Our drive home was rather quiet. I talked occasionally, and Harry answered in quiet whispers, stumbling over his words. I frowned at how intense his stammering had become again, gripping the steering wheel a bit tighter.

I waited silently on the porch as Harry spoke quietly to Anne, his brows furrowed as he glanced up at me momentarily. I looked away, fixing my gaze on the door.

I waved at her as she drove off, then followed Harry into the house. I licked my lips as we entered his room, and like usual, he grabbed some clothes and went into the bathroom to change.

He pulled his glasses off, and it took everything in me not too rake my eyes over every inch of his face. He cleaned the lenses, then pushed them back up his face.

"Did I do something wrong?" Harry asked, trying to keep my gaze. I looked away.

"No," I brushed off his questions, asking us to start with the lesson.

He didn't, so why exactly was I treating him like this? I had no idea.

"Amelia, you won't even look at me." He said as he pulled off his glasses and placed them on the counter in the kitchen.

He made us a decent meal, and we ate quietly. He waited for me to reply his question, honestly this time, or to respond to his statement. But, I myself didn't know how to reply to him. I had no idea how to explain this silly mood swing of mine.

Harry walked in front of me to the door, and he paused in front of it and turned towards me. Then, he sucked in a deep breath and leaned in it to me. My eyes widened when his face ducked towards mine and I coughed awkwardly as I moved away from his proposed kiss.

Harry's eyes widened, and he flushed brighter than I'd ever seen.

"God," He whispered to himself in embarrassment.

"Harry," I started.

"Just go," He whispered,"I knew it was too good to be true anyway."