Familiar

Familiar: well known from long
or close association.

"Our first battle is Milliana of Mermaid Heel VS Marie of Purpura Caelem!" The names of the first battle were announced. Akira began cheering at the name of her comrade, excited to see her fight.

"Ah fuck," Marie sighed, although she knew she was going up at one point. She probably would of been more excited if the rest if the team hadn't been so tired.

As well as that, Akira stopped cheering due to Marie's choice of words.

"Sorry," she apologised to the child, even though she only ever scolded her brother for swearing.

Despite the -really unnecessary- awkwardness, you sighed and smiled. Not that you let anyone see.

You hated Kokuzu, not just for being a straight up dick, but for killing the relationship you had built with your guild since you rejoined. You had gained the ability to laugh with them, but still felt in control of your emotions. But you still reminded yourself...

Your the one who left.

Marie looked determined, in a fighting stance ready to fight the cat girl in front of her. Although it looked like Marie was winning, circling the girl with her speed, Milliana managed to trip her up and tie her in whatever her magic was. Marie lost.

She returned to the balcony, looking glum. She didn't expect anyone to comfort her.

"Well done! You looked super cool out there!" Akira cheered, Akio had to support to stop her falling of the edge of the balcony she was sitting on.

Marie looked up and smiled, of course she didn't believe it.

But none of you dared to upset Akira, she was the happiest on there.

As for you, you were fed up with awkwardness, although you still weren't going to tell them anything. You didn't feel like it would solve anything.

"Yeah, it doesn't matter if you lost, we're still doing well," you crossed you arms and smiled a little. Shutting your eyes to avoid eye contact.

But when you did open them, you saw Marie grinning like an idiot. Akio looked happy and Riko just looked relieved.

"What?" You reacting to the stares of your comrades. Turning your head away and blushing.

"That's the same face as when we first came to Crocus." Riko grinned, almost pleased. You weren't aware she was watching you. Were you even showing emotion.

"When you apologises for stabbing me in the arm hen we fought, I kind of feel like your the same as that?" Akio added. You didn't feel apologetic right now. Actually you did a little, but you were certain it wasn't the emotion you were putting forward.

"You sounded like you did when we were kids, before you left, before that stupid fire," Marie looked like she might cry. "Oh my God, you haven't sounded that sincere in eight years." She wrapped her arms around your neck and attacked hugged you.

"Do I?" You laughed, "I know I've been moody and awkward but seriously?" You joked.

"Max will be pleased to have the sarcasm back," Marie giggled, "actually no, when we were in the office your were like that." She released you.