Rejection

Rejection: the dismissing or refusing of a proposal, idea, etc
or
the action of spurning a person's affections.

You were slightly afraid as you approached he guild, as you stepped inside it suddenly felt like you were being stared at. Mainly because you were, by Marie, Max, Akira and even Patience was were watching from the very back of the room. But where was Akio?

"Hey!" You heard, caught you off guard, his voice. You jumped as you quickly spun to face Akio. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to startle you..."

His expression seemed nervous, on edge, but at the same time he wasn't in a bad mood either, there was a slight excitement in his movement.

"Um, shall we get out of here, there's a nice place we can chat..." he seemed to regret every word that came out of his mouth, it sweet to be so nervous, which was an awful thing to think, since he had every right to be nervous.

You nodded and followed him out the guild, still followed by stares of your team mates and one of their parents. You followed behind Akio awkwardly, you tried to keep your face straight but you couldn't help but look anxious. Luckily with Akio in front he wouldn't of been able to see this look on your face, but at the same time, you couldn't see him expression either.

He led you to the small hill, the somehow notorious one. Where you, Max and Marie had watched the fire start from all those years ago, and just the other week had spoke to Rogue on. You shivered at the variety of memories you were making here, but continued to follow Akio as he lead you up it.

After what felt like hours of walking from the guild, the two of you had finally stopped. The ground of the hill seemed a lot less soft the more tensed you became, and while you usually freely sat on the grass when you were up here you felt permitted to stand. Akio stood nervously for a moment, brushed his fingers through his hair with a nervous smile. He was very attractive, you suddenly remembered in the moment, as if trying to actually contemplate whether you should turn him down or not; and this sunset lighting did wonders for him, his eyes, his hair, his complexion. But you couldn't quite help but link this shade of dusk to the evening you watched another man smile as he cared for his exceed, as he didn't even notice you watching him, the evening the both of you had come to new resolutions.

"So... um." Akio drew his mind back to him. "I think, you've probably guessed why. I've done this."

The anxiety was clear on his face, immediately once he was done talking he bit his lip and avoided eye contact. In a response to your own nerves you hugged yourself, nodding in the process.

"I, I should tell you..." he drew a deep breath, "I think you're amazing, the strongest person I know and you're just incredible..."

That wasn't how he wanted to say it, it was just easier to say that then his true feelings. He took another deep breath, this time preparing himself for what he actually wanted to say.

He said your name. "I, like, you, a lot," he bit his lip. "And I don't think I could go on, if I didn't tell you, if I didn't know how you felt too."

You bowed your head in deep embarrassment as he said those words, you felt your lip quivering. Could you just say, you liked him too? And you wouldn't have to watch his heart break in front of you.

Just make it quick, you told yourself, and clear. Yet at the same time you wanted to offer some kind of condolence.

"I'm sorry," you looked up to meet his face, you watched the hope slowly drain. You couldn't watch, you rose to your tip toes and placed a light hand on his head to lower it. All so you could place a quick kiss of his forehead, an apology, but not so clear.