Pride

Pride : a feeling of deep pleasure
or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the
achievements of one's close associates, or from qualities
or possessions that are widely admired.

or

: being conscious of ones own dignity

"First point to Crimson Inferno!" Marie heard the announcer briefly, "the Riko vs Itzal fight is over with Crimson as the victor!"

She stopped for a moment to look up at the scoreboard, to check if she'd heard the truth.

"That was quick," she muttered to herself, almost forgetting where she was.

But just in time she managed to dodge another attack from her opponent, which would of been easier if she'd been paying attention.

Overall, Marie had a small advantage, he was slow, his attacks were long, Marie could easily avoid them, her evasion was better. However, he was larger than her and she was physically weak, she couldn't seem to knock him over, his defence was superior. It took many attempts of fast kicks to just get him to wobble. This fight wasn't going anywhere.

But she had to win.

She needed something that would make her advantage bigger, an event, something that would make him lose.

She avoided more of his attacks, trying to figure out some way to change the game.

"Have you given up? You're not attacking anymore?" He mocked, his character was cocky but also dumb. Marie wasn't the brightest button in the box but she could definitely out smart the guy in front of her,

The area they fought in was like an alleys between buildings, a fake city made purely for the fighting taking place and for the entertainment of the country.

There must be something I can use.

Frustratedly, Marie ran past him using her speed to stand behind. This confused him, he wondered where she'd gone. Slowly she knelt down so he wouldn't hear her, picking up the nearest stone and with all her force, throwing it at him.

Unexpectedly, her opponent cried out at this small attack, rather than ignore it like all the rest of her attempts. He immediately turned to face her. Marie stood shocked and confused, but then realised.

"I guess you noticed," he looked half impressed, half disappointed with himself.

"Your magic is defence..." She nodded, explaining why none of her attacks would get to him.

"My skin is like armour, but I have to activate it myself," he grins, "you caught me off guard."

"I threw a stone at you," Marie raised an eyebrow.

"A sharp stone!" He protested angrily, not liking how he was being interpreted by his opponent, "besides I won't let my guard down again!"

He went back to attacking, and the plain fight continued. He didn't lie, Marie couldn't find a point at all were he put his guard down, she couldn't seem to trick him anymore. But he was weak, if he was caught off guard a small attack was enough to take him down, he wasn't tolerant to pain, it wouldn't surprise Marie if he had never experienced it with the magic he had.

Frustration was beginning to overwhelm her as she plainly fought the man, she was just waiting for a moment where he would get confused again, or forget she was there, even though he had clearly learned from his mistakes. She was getting angrier, and eventually it got the better off her.