Life

I think it's more appropriate
here to not define life, but discover how it's importance is learned through the refusal of it's antonym.

You stood in front of the mirror, two crutches in each hand, attempting to make an effort to stand elegantly when your legs didn't cooperate.

"Yeah, no, I don't think the dress is working right now." You slumped into an easier position to stand in.

The female collection of your guild, stood in a small dressing room like area in the hotel you were staying at. There you forced to try on a variety of dresses, none of which you found appropriate considering your condition. The dress they picked out for you was a red dress that only fell down to your knees. It was determined that you would not be able to walk in a ball gown, especially as that may require heels. It was an elegant high neck dress, though, once it passed above your chest the silk like fabric changed to a see through dark red one that covered the top of you chest and your arms. However despite efforts to hide them with sleeves and tights, you could still see the bandages around your legs and arm.

"Is it the crutches?" Marie stood next to you, admiring her own dress as well as yours, she'd gone with her favourite colour, hot pink, and found a long but simply dress with only around two layers. "They don't fit the colour scheme." She seemed to ponder for a while before Akira chipped in.

"Maybe we can cover them in glitter!" She bounced of her seat to examine your crutches closer, bear in mind she was just about the same height as them. "We can rap some tape around the top bit!" She hopped around excitedly, she wore a bouncy lime dress that matched the colour of her guild mark that was visible on her shoulder.

"That is a brilliant idea!" Marie agreed immediately, "lets go see where we can by some!" Like excited children Marie and Akira ran out of the dressing room, holding the dresses up as they ran.

While they were gone, you continued to examine your dress, standing up straight and then slumping back down again, turning around as far as your crutches would let you. Riko, who choose not to leap at the thought of getting glitter tape, noticed this. "So you do like the dress?"

You nodded, shyly through the mirror. Riko, got up from here seat and strolled over next to you. She wore a long dress too, but there was a slit round the front revealing her legs, she picked green and blue, colours you would of never expected of her. As well of this, her hair down, this way it almost reached the bottom of her dress. You and Marie had spent almost an hour combing it for her, before today you hadn't quite realised how unreasonably long it was.

"I do like it," you sighed a little anxiously.

"And it's not crutches and bandages?" Riko further questioned. Almost sisterly, she tucked a lose bit of your hair behind your ear. It had been styled up into a bun (or left down, depending on how long your hair is), you shook your head gently at her question.

"What is it then?"

You let out an embarrassed sigh, not sure if you could trust Riko of all people to not laugh at your reason for feeling so awkward, still. "I... haven't worn a dress since I left Lavender town..."

Riko attempted to hold back a smirk, she realised you felt quite awkward and your reason for not dressing formally was relatively justified. "I guess there wasn't a dress wearing opportunity in your eight years away."

"Nope, definitely not." You exhaled deeply as you watched Riko further hold back a laugh.

"I'm sorry but that is such a dumb reason for looking so tense." She chuckled, "but I guess it's a shame that your first time since has to be with all these bandages."