Warmth

Warmth: the quality, state, or sensation of being
warm; moderate heat.
or
enthusiasm, affection, or kindness.

You instantly regretted not taking Akio's offer, but as usual you were far to stubborn to go back now. You didn't think Akio would hold it against you if you went back, Riko might, but not Akio. Still, you chose to keep you going. You did have objective; but the closer you got, it became more lessened. You were going to see Rogue, and try to piece together everything.

Although you really felt like you should be talking to Itzal.

"It's not personal, but he feels like you're not going to do your job properly."

You remembered his words perfectly, his exact tone of voice, when he took a pause, everything. Because it meant he must know about your brother, he has to be another link. He's got to be.

But right now you were going to find Rogue anyway, and once again you made your way up the steps. By now, the sky was more blue than orange, the dark kind that didn't leave any glow over the surface.

You were on your way up when...

"You don't look great." You didn't even notice Gajeel on his way down, he looked at you with concern rather thinking you were worth any points to his team.

"Charming." Was the only remark you could really make right now.

"Well you don't exactly look ready to fight."

"Well maybe that's the point."

The iron dragon slayer blinked a few times before making his signature laugh, "ohh I get it." He faked a punch to your arm to which you responded by falling onto the floor. "Did I win this 'battle'?"

You let out a breathy laugh, "yup, I'm out, five points to you. Better than losing my points to Crimson Inferno."

"Whelp, you made a good choice, helping to aid the winners." He grinned, you were certain Sting was still around though, they could still lose.

You wanted to tell him not to be cocky, but not actually knowing Gajeel that well caused you to stay quiet and just nod. He began to move on down the steps.

"By the way," he started as he was about to turn a corner, "be careful if you're going up to see Ryos, I'm not sure how stable either of you are."

Who was Ryos, was your first thought, and then you came to be a bit insulted by the fact he didn't think you were stable, and then you were confused by how Ryos is unstable.

"And sorry for knocking you off the building!" Was last thing you heard him say as he finally disappeared.

For a few seconds, you sat and pondered what he said,but you couldn't really make sense of it. Instead you continued to practically crawl up the steps until you reach the spot you were originally in for what felt like decades ago. But this time the scene was entirely different.

Rogue wasn't standing there, he was sitting and he looked just as tried as you did, beside him was the cat that had helped you out before. On his face was a look of serenity almost, and he glanced between his cat and the sky like it was the only two things he could see. You were too far away away to hear, but he was talking to Frosch, with a smile on his face. Something you'd never seen before on him.

That smile. It caused some sort of feeling inside you.

Warmth was the first word you could use to describe it, your cheeks were a different temperature and your chest was hotter too, as if they organ inside was working harder. But then it got colder. This was the man you were meant to kill.

You collapsed by the wall at the top of the stairs, tucked away behind the arch, out of his sight; just watching him for a while. This was him, really. Not some cold man who sent out glares, or the maniac that had messed your arm up. He seemed so soft. You were suddenly to afraid to approach him again, if any thing more embarrassed by your actions earlier. Besides, he looked happy where he was now, you didn't want to disturb him.

You continued to watch him for a minute or so longer, and then turned to face away, certain that he hadn't noticed you. Maybe this was why Yuuki was concerned you wouldn't do your job properly.

Bringing your knees up to your chest you allowed yourself to rest for a little while, with nothing but the slight breeze and the distant sound of Rogue's voice.

When this was over, you were going to sleep, for a while. A well deserved nap, I'm sure. Then you were going to sort this out properly.

It seemed like a smart idea now to tell Rogue everything, (well most of it), about the the future version of himself, your arm. Your magic, maybe. And then you might feel a little less tired. But for now, you were at peace, knowing it was almost over.

.....

Well it's not really over.

You remember what happens next, right?

-----------

Only a short chapter, but I did update yesterday so I think it's fair XD. I know it's not ideal but I think I'm going to get into the habit of writing shorter chapters just so I update a bit more often.

Also my Instagram is ey.amv , so you guys can see what I'm doing when I'm not writing 😅. I've posted a few Rogue things sure, but I'm mainly putting this here because I'd love to interact a bit more with some of you guys! The wattpad message system is okay but I don't check it that much... Anyway follow me or DM me anytime~

And finally thank you to everyone still reading and supporting this story despite my infrequent updates! I really appreciate it <3 Thank you so much!!