3.5

"I'll tell you the whole truth then, and how I ended up here.

My earliest memories could not of more than nine or ten years ago, when I was eleven. But if I'm honest, I'm not really too certain in how old I am, I didn't even know my name back then.

A man (who looked like you) stood in front of me, with a forced sympathetic expression looking down at me.

"Miss? How did you end up here?" His lines were forced and rehearsed like he said them a million times before, "these are dangerous woods you know, not safe for a young girl."

Before he said that, I couldn't even determine my own gender, I was just an empty soul with no knowledge of anything episodic, or semantic at that.

"Itzal," the man called a name, fed up now it seemed, "come sort her out."

Another boy came over, my age I think, helped me stand up and took me inside, through this cabin in the woods, up the stairs into the attic, containing nothing but a bunk bed and a set of draws. There was one window at the end of the room, it was the only source of light other than a tiny switched off lamp, the cloudy grey light covered half the room at best. It felt just as cold as the outside did.

"Where... where am I... who are you? Who... am I?" It was if I suddenly remembered I could speak.

Itzal sat me down on the bed, brushed off my shoulders with a sad and tired expression.

"Your name is Riko," he told me, "it always has been, and you've been here as long as either of us can remember."

"I've never been here before..." I looked around the room, as if to correct him, but the boy obviously knew more than I did.

In what felt like fear, I wrapped my arms around my shoulders, and as I did so, I could feel small strands of hair, tickle my fingers I flinched.

"Oh- I, my hairs so long... I don't think I like it..." I frowned, pulling a few locks of it in front of my face to inspect it.

"I know," Itzal got up to retrieve a pair of scissors of the dresser, they were stained with previous strands of hair, white hair. "Turn around."

I did so out of fear, I think, this strange man was coming at with a sharp object, from my perspective. The boy however didn't harm me with the scissors, just lifted chunks of my hair and chopped it off messily.

"Have you ever cut hair before!" I winced, startled by the little precision he was putting into the action.

"I have." His voice was expressionless, like his face, "yours."

"You keep saying things like that... but I promise we have never met!" I reminded him, once he was done with my hair I turned back around, the silver strands just about reached my chin now, it felt a lot better. "And you seem quite tired by all of this, like... you've done it before."

He looked at me and sighed, his expressionless face seemed almost sad. "That's because I have.."

"That's impossible!" I protested, "I told you we've never met,"

"You well, you haven't met anyone else before have you." He informed me, "can you even tell me what day of the week it is? Where you were born? What were your parents names?"

"I..." I wanted to tell him, the words were on the tip of my tongue, "it's..." the memories were there, I just couldn't reach them, it didn't take me long to realise though, I was reaching for nothing.