2.5

"It's a nice idea Max, but I think it's bit much on your own right now." The man carried a few crates along the tent filled street, he was an honourable butcher, a victim who had both their work place and homes burned in the fire.

"But, I know magic now! And I really think this town could experience thousands of benefits when it comes to its rejuvenation." The fifteen year old Max had taken a lot of time studying geography, economics, magic in order to persuade the town that a magic guild was a good idea. He started the pitch with his father.

"You're not just doing it to impress Miss Caito are you?" His father raised an eyebrow at his son, "or in hope that Miss (l/n) will come back?"

"No!" Max argued, embarrassedly tucking his hands into his pocket as he walked, "I don't want to impress Marie, this is for the town! And I could care less if (y/n) came back or not."

"I see, well I suppose I would of done something similar to impress your mother when I was your age..."

"This is not to impress Marie!" Max shouted at his father, and it was the truth, "its more... to protect her I guess."

His father glanced down sympathetically, his aura switching for intentionally annoying to kind.

"You see how everyone always surrounds her, asking her questions, trying to force out information she doesn't even know, questioning if the old mayor had enemy's, stuff about the town records, how is Marie meant to know? We were only eight when that stupid fire happened." He crossed his arms sadly, "it's too much for her..."

"You think she needs protecting?" His father asked almost confusedly,

"Yes!" Max answered, "we'll sort of."

Again, his father sighed before they reached their destination. Another tent in the middle of the street, inside his father had built a make shift butchers shop, no where near as helpful as his original shop, however he made an effort (like the rest of the town) to continue working even after the disaster, a positive show of resilience. At the back of the tent where three blankets to work as beds, hidden by another sheet. His mother probably sat behind it. His father lay down the boxes just in front of the entrance.

"Well, if you're not to busy with this guild stuff I need you to run an errand for me."

"This isn't a joke Dad! I'm serious!" Max found himself getting grumpy again.

"Okay okay!" The man defensively put his arms in front of his face, wondering where his son inherited his temper. "I just think you need to wait until your a bit older, get more support."

Max looked down, knowing that it was true. There was no way he could do this all on his own right now.

"Anyway," his father placed a few coins in his hands, "I need you to run and get me some milk, we're out. Thank you."

Max didn't say anything, just accepted the money and walked in the direction of where he could get some. The best shop was near the entrance to the town, his father hadn't given him much and he knew he could by the cheapest pint there. The entrance was one of the few untouched areas, the edges of the town were the places that were most likely to have avoided the blaze since it started at the middle.

It took maximum fifteen minutes to reached there, he was about to enter the shop when he saw an unfamiliar face at the entrance.